4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent dictionary
Published on 1 Feb 2009 by I. A. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disgruntled....
Published on 2 Feb 2011 by Suzy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent dictionary, 1 Feb 2009
I. A. Wright "Ian Wright" (Didcot, Oxon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Hardcover)
The Oxford Spanish Dictionary is recommended by the Open University (OU) for its L140 "En rumbo" course. The dictionary is an excellent tool for anyone who needs a general Spanish dictionary at a reasonable price. The notes, which are highlighted in coloured boxes, provide useful background information. As we have come to expect of good dictionaries, the entries are clear, with headwords in bold blue text. Subdivisions of meanings are identified with blue letters, arranged alphabetically. The typeface is easy to read. This is a very useful and usable dictionary, suitable for desktop use, though not for reading on a crowded Underground train--it's heavy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does most of what it says on the tin......., 29 Jan 2011
Jikky (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Hardcover)
There's not much you can say about a dictionary, but here goes. I chose this dictionary because it seemed to be set out slightly better than a rival one. I'd reached that stage where a small dictionary just wasn't providing answers any more. And I'm certainly not "advanced". So I've been delighted with this more comprehensive book.
There are 3 negative things to consider about it. Although it is fairly thorough in it's entries, giving some colloquialisms etc, I sometimes find that I come across use of words or phrases that are not in it. I now wish I'd bought the Biggest size at around 50, instead of the 2nd biggest at around 30. The reason I didn't buy the BIG one was - I couldn't pick it up! I've got arthritis and this one was the limit of my lifting capability and I've had to have it split into 4 portions!
The other thing that annoys me is that it is full of American English. I was amazed that I couldn't find "mouldy"; it comes under "moldy". There are phrases in it I don't know the meaning of in English - they are presumably American.
I recommend you buy this book if you're serious about your Spanish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dictionary marred only by precedence given to American English, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Hardcover)
Whilst I think this is a wonderfully comprehensive dictionary, I may well have chosen the Collins if I'd known that it was published in the USA and therefore that the listings in the English-Spanish section give precedence to American English. Not a problem for obvious words like color or center but does pavement have the American meaning of roadway or the English meaning of pavement? I really don't want to spend time having to work this out! So Amazon, be more upfront next time please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Spanish Dictionary, 21 Jan 2011
C. A. Neill "Chrisso" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Hardcover)
Purchased for OU Spanish Course. Easy reference, including a lot of useful information. A "must" for anyone who is learning Spanish or who is a native to the language. Easy to cross reference [[ASIN:0199543402 Oxford Spanish Dictionary]. Delivery was prompt despite severe weather disrupting postal deliveries prior to Christmas. A good price too compared to high street bookshops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Spanish Dictionary, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Hardcover)
It is very comprehensive and have great and clear details. I would think this is a must have dictionary if you are studying Spanish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, 20 Oct 2011
Ms. D. E. Kelly "D. Kelly" (Merseyside) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Hardcover)
Daughter studying for A levels at the moment and said she is very happy with this dictionary. She said they have them in school. As they are quite large and heavy it is really a book to keep at home and not carry around with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Reference Book, 14 May 2011
This review is from: Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Hardcover)
I bought this dictionary to replace the smaller one that I have been using for the past 12 years and find it very useful to help me with my Spanish homework, the detail is excellent and very easy to follow. It contains information other than the dictionary, like, how to write letters, verb conjugations etc. I can thoroughtly recommend this item. I also purchased one for my Spanish teacher to replace his older, tatty version and he is absolutely delighted with too.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disgruntled...., 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Hardcover)
I needed this dictionary for a course I'm doing and was over the moon to discover that it also had online access and so wouldn't need to carry the dictionary all over the place. When I actually tried to access the year's free subscription though, it turns out that this should have been sent through with my receipt and it wasn't. The dictionary itself is good but make sure you ask for the code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Hardcover)
Impressive and comprehensive. Just what my son needed for his A level Spanish course. For those looking for the code for on line activation it is inside the front of the book - 16 digit number.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Oxford Spanish Dictionary (Hardcover)
My daughter was very excited to get his for her A level course. It is a very large dictionary so for home use only. Cheaper than the equivalent French one which we bought from Waterstones, though it had more head words so great value. We were in two minds as the teachers showed a mild preference for the layout of the Collins dictionaries - they had usage included, but since we couldn't get an accurate comparison prior to purchasing and this model matched the style of her French one we stuck with Oxford. The Oxford edition also has information boxes, but we couldn't tell if a similar number of idiomatic phrases were included. Would recommend you look at sample pages or if possible look at a hard copy to see if you have a preferred style. In the end the number of headwords in this edition won over the Collins equivalent. My daughter then spent several days finding English words she had never heard of and is very happy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Oxford Spanish Dictionary
Oxford Spanish Dictionary by Oxford Dictionaries (Hardcover - 1 May 2008)
28.00