1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh Look at the System, 6 Sep 2012
This review is from: Military Identities: The Regimental System, the British Army, and the British People C.1870-2000 (Paperback)
I have always been interested in the British Army's regimental system, especially how it has evolved over time. I also have an interest in organisational issues of armies; therefore I found the subject matter of the book to my liking.

This book takes the story from primarily from the Cardwell-Childers reforms of 1870-1880 up to the modern day. The purpose of the book is to prove that the regimental system is not as it is commonly held, but shows that there are in effect four regimental systems in operation. The territorial aspect of the Cardwell-Childers reforms were not that great a success, and the book contains a handy table showing the percentage of local recruits in each territorially linked regiment.

It is not just an organisational history of the Army's development, but a social history as well containing chapters on how the regiments were recruited, both other ranks and officers, along with basic training, barrack life and disciplinary issues.

I enjoyed the book and feel I got out of it what I wanted. Professor French is a new author to me, but I see that he has written other books, specifically on the army during World War II, which I shall certainly obtain at some point.