Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 July 2011
This is a full edition of St Anselm's writings, but the main texts are the Proslogion, that first gave us the 'ontological argument' for the existence of God and the 'Cur Deus Homo', or 'Why God became Man'.

The Proslogion starts with the words of scripture 'The fool says in his heart there is no God' and asks why this is foolish. Anselm's reply is that the idea of God is of the most perfect being and such a being would not be perfect if it were non-existent. In other words, someone who thinks of God as non-existent is not really thinking of God at all. This gave rise to Gaunilo's reply that you could say the same thing about a perfect island and Kant's objection in The Critique of Pure Reason that 'existence is not a predicate' with the famous example of the imaginary $100. Hegel replied in his Lectures on the Proofs of the Existence of God that dollars and islands are finite and so we know from the start that they are the sort of things that might or might not be there, but supposing this about God prejudges the question at issue.

Less well known, but as interesting is the 'Cur Deus Homo'. This argues that man's salvation cannot be a work of man, for sin has made him incapable of saving himself by his works, so the salvation of man must be an act of God, but also an act of Man. Hence the Incarnation and Atonement of Christ follow from God's mercy. These to me are the highlights of the book and I would have been happy with a Oxford World Classics edition of just those, perhaps with the debate with Gaunilo as an appendix. Anselm was a major religious thinker and goes a long way to give an intellectual basis to the Gospel and to religion generally.
on 10 August 2014
I love this book! St. Anselm was a true genius, and displays such clarity of thought throughout. Often his proofs are so strong, clear, and undeniable, I am reminded of proofs of mathematical theorems, and I wonder if Anselm might have been a great mathematician were he born in another age (not that it's very difficult to understand). I haven't yet read it all, but I have read the 'Monologion', 'On Truth', and 'On Free Will', and I'm working on 'On The Fall Of The Devil', and have found all so far extremely helpful, both settling my confusions, and inspiring a sense of awe at such incredible wonders and mysteries. I've often felt the need to stop to appreciate the beauty and grandeur of the arguments, and the conclusions, although a few times I've had to stop and reread just to understand. I'm very excited for the rest of this book.
Throughout (what I've read so far), I get the strong sense of a man with a strong and lively faith. For some reason, I had expected Scholasticism to be extremely dry and tedious (perhaps just the name, and association with the middle ages), but these are anything but. He has made me excited to reach for more of the scholastics (this is my first proper theology book).

St. Anselm has thoroughly earned his title as Doctor of the Church.
on 15 July 2013
I always wanted to read Anselm's ontological argument for the existence of God. Now I have it along with his other works. And the concise introduction all about him. I'm so happy. If you love the theological classics like Augustine and A Kempsis etc you will love this book. :-)
on 5 January 2014
Anselm of Canterbury is simply one of the great theological minds of the medieval period. In my rating his work is second only to that of St. Thomas Aquinas. Highly influential, but often misinterpreted, Anselm's writings make a significant contribution to Western theology. This volume contains all of Anselm's major works. One gets a sense of the devotional way in which he was composing theological writings for those in the monastery and under his tutelage in the Church.
on 13 April 2015
Poor translation.
on 26 February 2013
I am happy with my purchase, would like the content to have a little more balance argument. But overall the book was extremely beneficial.