4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, interesting to browse through
I bought this book for my 10 year old to brush up on proverbs for the 11+. It is frustrating that there isn't a dictionary on proverbs specifically for children.
Published on 14 Mar 2009 by Book Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars I think it could have given you more of a ...
I think it could have given you more of a meaning of these proverbs not just the dates of when they were mentioned in history.
Published 23 days ago by Ann Parsons

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, interesting to browse through, 14 Mar 2009
This review is from: A Dictionary of Proverbs (Oxford Paperback Reference) (Paperback)
I went through the book and highlighted the proverbs that I wanted him to read and understand - the most common ones -although there are many obscure ones in the book that I'd never heard of myself. I've also looked through the book a few times myself and found it interesting. Could do with more colour and perhaps clearer explanations, but then it is written with adults in mind, for whom it is very clear. A useful resource for any library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book Browser's Paradise., 4 Aug 2014
Mr. T. White (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"If you can't have all the world's wisdom to yourself, then, surely, the next best thing is to revel in that of history's wisest thinkers" - so says your current reviewer.

What places this collection, at distance, from any other book on proverbs, are the rich and varied number of quotations which apply to each proverb. Many of which are most interesting indeed: thus - following "Lucky at cards, unlucky at love" - we find this:

"You had never believed the phrase 'lucky at cards, unlucky in love' until that night when you were the victim of a drive-by shooting from a jealous ex-girlfriend shortly after being dealt a full house."

I've tried repeatedly to think of a single proverb which I've been unable to locate, within this book's pages, yet, alas, I've failed every time. So, I must surely concede that it is a most brilliantly in-depth, and arguably unrivalled collection of proverbs. In other words, no fellow bibliophile should live a long life without at least sharing some of it in the company of this wonderful book. 5/5 for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 25 Dec 2012
This book is good as it has alot of the porverbs but it shows more where they originate from rather than what they mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the doctor ordered!, 2 Feb 2009
F. Watson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A very good book which will stop you being caught out when those proverbs come up in general conversation. It is clearly laid out and well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
I am very happy with this item. Richard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, 28 Aug 2013
I purchased this for a gift, and they can not put it down. Very informative and a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossword Help, 6 Dec 2012
This book is exactly what I wanted....a reference for crosswords. Brilliant!! It would also be good for younger people who do not know any Poverbs/

3.0 out of 5 stars I think it could have given you more of a ..., 7 Aug 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Cruisy, 1 Aug 2013
Just love this as another example of Chicane's music I recommend this to all trance music lovers x x x

A Dictionary of Proverbs (Oxford Paperback Reference)
A Dictionary of Proverbs (Oxford Paperback Reference) by John Simpson (Paperback - 23 Oct 2008)
6.99