5.0 out of 5 stars Dumas does it again!
The beginning of the end. This is the final instalment of the musketeers trilogy, and this is no doubt where much confusion arises. After the completion of The Three Musketeers in 1844 and Twenty Years After in 1845 Dumas once again returned to the musketeers for one final outing. Published in serial form between 1847 and 1850 The Vicomte De Bragelonne is a massive...
Published on 13 Jun. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story.... but
the layout on the Kindle version is not brilliant - the text isn't properly justified and the chapters run into each other. Can't complain too much as it is free though. Also if you have your Kindle set to file books alphabetically it will file it under 'P'!
Published on 28 Mar. 2013 by Bruce

5.0 out of 5 stars All good, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Vicomte de Bragelonne (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
Item arrived real quick and was brand new. Made a great Christmas present.Item arrived real quick and was brand new. Made a great Christmas present.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy read, 27 Mar. 2013
An excellent story now starting the next to continue Ten Years Later...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Dumas' Best, 22 Nov. 2002
By A Customer
I don't recommend this book but if you should decide to read it, you should be aware that it is not a stand alone story. It is a sequel to "The Three Musketeers" and "Twenty Years After" and I strongly recommend reading those before reading this one. Also, the story that begins in this one continues in "Louise de la Valliere" and ends in "The Man in the Iron Mask" so be prepared to read those as well if you start this one.
After reading and enjoying "The Three Musketeers" and "Twenty Years After" I picked up this one expecting to read another wonderful story about Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D'Artagnan. Well, with the exception of "The Man in the Iron Mask", I can't recall ever being more disappointed with a book than I was with this one.
First of all, the book has very little to do with the four musketeers. So if you want to read it for the characters, you will be greatly disappointed. Aramis and Porthos are hardly in this book. They don't even appear in it at all until nearly 500 pages into it. (The book has about 650 pages.) And then they pretty much have a "Blink and you'll miss them" type of appearance. Athos is in it a fairly good bit during the first half, but he is absent for most of the second half. D'Artagnan's appearance in the book is decent especially when compared to that of the others.
I was also disappointed with the amount of time that Athos' son, Raoul, was in the book. I had liked his character and his relationship with Athos in "Twenty Years After" and was hoping to learn more about him and his relationship with his father in this book. Raoul wasn't in the book very much either considering the book's length and little time was spent on the relationship between Athos and Raoul. I was also hoping to learn more about Raoul's relationship with his friend, the Comte de Guiche and Raouls's relationship with Louise de la Valliere. But again, the book spent little time on these relationships. At least half of the book involved other characters whose names I can't even remember because Dumas failed to make them memorable. King Louie XIV, Queen Anne, and Cardinal Mazarin were involved but other than that I can't name anyone. The character development in this book was just really pathetic.
Now that I've told you about the characters, I suppose you would like to hear something about the plot. Well, the fact is the book doesn't have one. It consisted mostly of pointless scenes that had absolutely nothing to do with the stories that developed in "Louise de la Valliere" and "The Man in the Iron Mask". Basically, Dumas kept starting stories and then abruptly ending them which made the book a very confusing and tedious read for me. I kept reading this book and the next two hoping that the purpose of these stories would be explained to me but they never were.
Still, you need to read this one if you want to read "Louise de la Valliere" and "The Man in the Iron Mask" because there are a few scenes in it that are important to understanding the next two books. However, the next two aren't worth reading through this one to get to. "Louise de la Valliere" is a little better than this one but not by much. "The Man in the Iron Mask" is an appalling disaster that I would strongly recommend anyone to avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 6 Feb. 2015
Thought I had ordered an english version

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting, Never Again!, 26 Feb. 2014
This was a birthday present from my mum, to me. After asking me to order it for her as she didn't have time herself, I was excited to be getting something I actually knew and was looking forward to for a change (She asked what I wanted and I figured since i was already reading The Three Musketeers, which I love, I may as well invest in the other books).

Not only did it arrive late (Though granted that was due to the useless morons at the Royal Mail) but upon opening the parcel, I found that on the spine of the book, was the most horrific Dark Brown stain I've ever seen on a book. I'm not sure if it's mud, paint or something much worse but it wouldn't even clean off. Now I know it only cost £6.99 but when one purchases something for a present, you expect it to be in the condition stated in the description (Brand New) not covered in gods only knows what! Will not be buying from this particular company again!

The Vicomte de Bragelonne (Oxford World's Classics)
The Vicomte de Bragelonne (Oxford World's Classics) by Alexandre Dumas (père) (Paperback - 29 Jan. 2009)