Format: Paperback|Change

It's difficult to find a reliable and affordable edition of Donne: I've been using the Smith edition in Penguin (The Complete English Poems (Penguin Classics) since I was an undergraduate, but bought this as well because it includes a good selection of the non-poetic works: letters, sermons etc.

Carey is, of course, a well-recognised Donne scholar, but I can't help feeling that the idea of publishing Donne's works in purely chronological order, rather than organising it, is a bit gimmicky. So in this edition we get everything mixed up: satires interspersed with elegies, dedicatory sonnets, holy sonnets etc. Only the 'Songs and Sonnets' are put together, precisely because we don't know when they were written.

In the introduction, Carey discusses the problems of dating Donne's writings so this rather seems to undermine the very premise upon which the ordering is built...

I'm glad to find Donne's non-poetic writings in an affordable edition and Oxford should be applauded for that. But for reading and working on the poetry I'm afraid I'll be returning to the Smith.
on 27 December 2015
Great price, arrived in good time, well packaged, it's a new original product and its a great read.
on 23 September 2014