4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and beautiful, 16 Nov 2007
H Pedder "bookworm" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am new to Mansfield's work (shameful, I know) and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed her short stories. The selection in this book is broad and vary in length, subject and even style. Mansfield's prose is created with pained consideration to every word - the characters and atmosphere are developed within a short timeframe and hence every word counts for much. Her stories are what I would call 'easy reads' (i.e. not complex sentences or crammed with unusual words) but there is certainly more to each story than meets the eye. They are thought-provoking and it is just as relevant to consider what is NOT said than what is. It would be impossible - and it certainly wouldn't do justice - to summarise Mansfield's stories in this review. The beauty is in the individual interpretation of her work as well as the lingering pleasure derived from every sentence.

I bought this as part of a literature course I was studying but, unlike some of the texts, I'll keep this gem on my bookshelf for future reading pleasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Selected Stories (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
posted as advertised and on time

4.0 out of 5 stars Selected Sories for English student, 16 May 2013
Ice Maiden "Kathy" (Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Item for my grandaughters course work at uni. She is happy with the product. I myself have not read them but they are what she requested.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Sep 2001
I enjoyed her style, her vocabulary and such plot lines as in the two strangers with an odd childish relationship in "Something childish but very natural" and one woman's journey into an occupied area of France in "An indiscreet Journey."
Very enjoyable and thoroughly satisfying!!

Selected Stories (Oxford World's Classics)
Selected Stories (Oxford World's Classics) by Katherine Mansfield (Paperback - 11 Sep 2008)