5.0 out of 5 stars An antidote to poor lecturing., 29 Jan 2009
First and foremost I should admit a bias: I was taught at secondary school by one of the authors of this book, whose skill as an exponent of physics is one of the reasons why I now find myself where I am today. That said, I shall be as objective as possible. This book, particularly the hardback, is perhaps not cheap for it's size, but in my opinion the material within justifies the expenditure. Topics covered include linear mechanics, fields, rotational mechanics, oscillations and waves, circuits and thermal physics. Each is discussed with excellent clarity to a high degree of precision, with (and trust me this is a good thing) more mathematics than will be found in first year lecture courses in physics (and I'm speaking with experience of Cambridge lectures). The enthusiasm and clarity of my former teacher is clear to see in many sections of the book, and experience of both academic and secondary school teaching has no doubt helped in crafting good explanations. So the topics that are covered are covered very well. The one flaw that I have found with the book is that, for my lecture course at least, not all of the relevant material is covered. Special relativity, for example, is omitted. That said, I believe the book is vaguely based on the Oxford physics course, and so I shouldn't be surprised if some material in my course differs from that of the Oxford one (the Cambridge one is superior of course...). In summary I can strongly recommend this book for the material within it and if it doesn't have the subject you are looking for I would suggest Alonso and Finn's Physics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent training for students of physics, 25 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Language of Physics: A Foundation for University Study (Paperback)
This much-needed book plugs a significant gap in the market: a physics book written for sixth formers and those embarking on a university career in physics that describes and explains the mathematical side of the subject in detail. It doesn't assume much knowledge but is successful in taking the reader into and through some quite subtle territory. While a book this size can't be completely comprehensive, it deals with topics from a wide range of physics. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to any sixth former serious about physics, and students starting out on a university course in physics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Starter, 2 Mar 2013
Does what it says on the cover. A sound introduction to the maths required at UG level. The foreword suggests this will bridge the gap between single A level maths and university expectations, in my view this is a tad ambitious. However for an able A level student it can pave the way to at least having met the concepts and some of the symbols before being hit with the tough stuff.

ARRAY(0xa6b42960)

The Language of Physics: A Foundation for University Study
The Language of Physics: A Foundation for University Study by Anton Machacek (Paperback - 28 Aug 2008)
23.50