5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!
Published on 19 Oct 2007 by H-man

2.0 out of 5 stars awful
awful- explains the facts of each case in a needlessly complicated way instead of just saying what happened! found myself going to wikipedia to have some sort of straight forward answer.

Lots of detail, but severely compromised by the time it takes to get through all the useless detail.
Published 6 months ago by Ian David Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, 19 Oct 2007
This review is from: EU Law: Text, Cases and Materials (Paperback)
I'm now in my second year of an undergraduate course and my lecturers had recommended two main books - this one and another EU Law textbook by Jo.Steiner. I first bought the EU book by Jo.Steiner but realised that it had no caselaw (or insufficient at least) and decided to get this book by Burca. I have to say that you can rely on this book alone for the full course, it is very informative and has some interesting small debates on contentious issues. Quite rightly, it can be described as the 'Bible' of EU Law. Despite it being very thick with lots of information, it is very easy to read and comprehend.

In summary, get this book before any others! You would not need to buy any others, but remember always use other books as well for essays!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best EU Law book around, 18 Sep 2007
This review is from: EU Law: Text, Cases and Materials (Paperback)
As a law student I've had to shell out loads of money for books that stay on the shelf and barely get opened... after five years of law school I can say without a shadow of a doubt Craig and De Burca was the book I got the most value for money out of. Absolutely, 100% recommended for any law student who will be taking a number of EU courses, or EU Law related degree. If only all other law books were as easy to read as this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed but a little bit outdated, 18 Dec 2010
This review is from: EU Law: Text, Cases and Materials (Paperback)
I' ve been using de Burca for the past 3 years: as a second year and third year law student, and now during my master degree. My opinion on this book was constantly changing, from 'Argh, I hate it', via 'Oh, I love it', to 'Well, it's ok, but not really up to date'.
From my expierience quite a lot of students studying EU law for the first time find this book daunting, over-detailed and too complex, but once you understand it it's easy to get 2.1 or 1 from the subject. Also, if one's going to take a module in 'Advanced EU law' (or something similar), she'll appreciate the content of de Burca's textbook.

The book is very rich and detailed, it covers all basics of EU law. There could be more about Internal Market and Competition Law, but obviously it would be impossible to include everything in one textbook and you can find more specific works on those subjects.

The main problem is that the 'EU law' was published in 2007 and since then there were some important cases (like Kadi and Kadi II) and changes (Lisbon Treaty). I'm waiting for another edition, I'll definitely want to see it on my book shelf.

Finally I want to add, that I've been trying to use other textbook, but I'm still going back Grainne de Burca's 'EU Law'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, decent content for students, 31 May 2009
G. Jones "gemmellow" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EU Law: Text, Cases and Materials (Paperback)
This really helped me in all of my EU law courses at uni, it lays out the case law in order and explains the developments. Worth buying.

2.0 out of 5 stars awful, 6 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars EU-TIFUL, 3 July 2009
Zaf (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EU Law: Text, Cases and Materials (Paperback)
excellent , extremely detailed and lovely book. wicked for exams and succinct explainations.

Get at me if u want a copy, i have one i am not using i will sell it through amazon if offered a decent price.

Merci

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, but not the best..., 30 May 2009
This review is from: EU Law: Text, Cases and Materials (Paperback)
This book is an useful introductory text to get your head around the basics - but move onto Chalmers et al the minute you understand these basics, as the analysis in the Chalmers textbook is on an entirely different level of sophistication.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 27 Oct 2009
M. Thomas (Swansea, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EU Law: Text, Cases and Materials (Paperback)
A complete waste of money.

- Language used is needlessly complex
- Does not explain even basic principles well
- Follows a completely illogical format

I highly recommend Foster on EU Law, it's very well written and is genuinely interesting to read.
Especially helpful if you're an undergraduate law student. Foster on EU Law

1.0 out of 5 stars Why is it so long winded?, 8 Oct 2007
This review is from: EU Law: Text, Cases and Materials (Paperback)
This book is massively over-detailed. Even my lecturer who suggested this book as recommended reading says on her handout 'It has far more detail than you will need on this course but there are nuggets of crucial information amongst all the detail'. Is there really? Well why can't people who are supposed to be such experts in their field that they write what is described as the leading textbooks get to the point a bit more quickly or better still make it clear which bits of their lengthy boredom-fest are the important bits that students need to know. I bought this, read the first reading from it that I had to read for a seminar and sent it back so that I could get a refund. There are tons of good, clear and to the point EU law textbooks out there that are for sale at a fraction of the price of this rambling mammoth so be sure to shop around for a book that is actualy useful (cuts through the chaff for you) rather than making things even more muddled.

EU Law: Text, Cases and Materials
EU Law: Text, Cases and Materials by Gráinne de Búrca (Paperback - 6 Sep 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01