5.0 out of 5 stars Magical mystery tour
Published on 11 Feb 2008 by G. Wisdom

1.0 out of 5 stars I gave it to Oxfam
This book is very tedious. He wanders all over the place. I can't believe he was given a grant to write it. Some of his phraseology is toe curling.

Harsh words I know. Maybe one has to be a very passinate lover of the seventeenth century to like this book.
Published on 23 Dec 2007 by Itscoldupnorth

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical mystery tour, 11 Feb 2008
This review is from: Mother Leakey and the Bishop: A Ghost Story (Hardcover)
This is huge fun ... or at least, it starts as fun and ends up as a bit more than that. The sensationalist raw material - the ghost, the bishop convicted of sodomy (though probably not of bestiality, sadly), and the weird connections between them - are up front. But having given us this racy drama, Marshall then won't let us get familiar with it: he keeps showing us the same events through different eyes, how history and prejudice and everyone's agenda has changed it. You start by enjoying a rollocking tale, and you finish wondering how we actually know anything about anything. Oh, and mourning for the loss of the teashop.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 5 Dec 2008
This is a cracking history book based upon the obscure tale of a seventeenth century haunting in Minehead and the related execution of a bishop for sodomy in Dublin. The book adopts an amusing and sardonic tone, but is in fact a serious investigation into the relationship between supernatural events and politics, ideas, and the social order in early modern England. Peter Marshall deserves credit for producing a really imaginative book. To my mind it is almost up there with Eamon Duffy's great book The Voices of Morebath or Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie's book Montalliou. Micro-history at its best!

5.0 out of 5 stars A romp through religious and social history led by the undaunted Mother Leakey, 11 July 2011
Amelia L. Quirk (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mother Leakey and the Bishop: A Ghost Story (Hardcover)
From the moment this book, (which I had read about around the time of its publication but never seemed to get around to purchasing)landed on my door mat I was literally unable to put it down - the story is so original and reads like a classy detective story. I must admit that I as a history graduate with a passion for the seventeenth century and social and religious history in particular I was absorbed in a way that the reader in pursuit of a ghost story in the conventional sense might not be; in particular the sections explaining the intricate complexities of the Church of Ireland's position, particularly within the context of the Civil war; I did feel slightly that had I not studied the period at university I may have struggled a bit whilst trying to follow the twists and turns of Marshall's pursuit for the truth of the Mother Leakey story and perhaps more importantly, whether the truth about Bishop Atherton's true deed leading to his execution would be revealed. Without spoiling the story, I did feel the story slid down the hills of Minehead before I was really able to make my mind up about what was and wasn't true,but this is to miss the subtly inferred point of the whole work really, as it is essentially an essay on how history is transmitted from age to age whilst using a frankly fascinating story as a case study; I would have liked a bit more of the 'World of the Leakeys' as the book is largely concerned with Marshall's predecessors in the hunt for the truth, but nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed the chase!

1.0 out of 5 stars I gave it to Oxfam, 23 Dec 2007

ARRAY(0xadf7dcf0)

Mother Leakey and the Bishop: A Ghost Story
Mother Leakey and the Bishop: A Ghost Story by Peter Marshall (Hardcover - 22 Feb 2007)
Used & New from: 2.15