Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 January 2007
Both my flatmate and I purchased this book for our criminology course. As a complete newbe to the subject I found this book well written with plenty of clear examples. My flatmate, who took A- level sociology, again found it usful as the information provided goes into great detail, instead of just including the basics. Basically this is a great book whether you are clueless like me or want to build up a greater understanding of crime in society.
on 25 December 2010
I have just completed my 1st year, 1st semester Criminology module at my (UK) University. This, being the core textbook, was required for my course (which in itself is a nice change as most modules do not have 1 set text anymore).

I cannot praise this book more highly. It not only has separate Introduction, Findings and Conclusion sections with useful boxes round it to make it clear, it also has at least a few pictures which is a welcome change from text heavy readings. Also, the book is relatively easy to follow considering it follows the Social Science model of 'a sentence is not really a sentence unless it's 10 lines long'. It also explains concepts clearly, concisely and simply.

Add to this it's associated website which has full chapter summaries and lots of other resources and I'd suggest this is one of the best core textbooks on the market and not even that expensive. (Although I have had to spend £30 on a single textbook so I'm not the best judge of that).

I do not do a full Criminology degree and this is my favourite book off the course excluding Craig Webber's Psychology and Crime (Key Approaches to Criminology)

A good all round text.
on 13 October 2013
I found this book good for certain topics but I found that a majority of the time there just wasn't enough information. I feel that in certain chapters it tries to cover too many issues at once and as a result doesn't provide enough detailed information. However I did find it useful when I needed to look the work and viewpoints of several different researchers.
on 21 May 2013
This book is one useful book that can facilitate students' understanding of the subject & it is definitely worth reading.
on 19 April 2013
Exactly what i wanted and the item has proved to be great value for the money that i paid for it
on 13 May 2015
Pretty good book which helped with an assignment or 2 on my foundation degree.
on 11 February 2013
my nephew was very pleased with this book i will buy form you again if i need to buy more books
on 18 April 2016
great book for criminology undergrads
on 25 June 2015