Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2004
This book is the easiest 'textbook' I have ever read. It is informative and scientific whilst being succinct, educational and entertaining. Francis has an excellent, friendly writing style and the delight and passion he has for the subject matter is plain to see. This book is a must-have for wannabe volcanologists and for anyone with an interest in natural hazards.
on 7 January 2005
This book provides an excellent introduction to the study of volcanoes, both on Earth and in the Solar System in general, which is easily accessible to an interested amateur or an undergraduate in the early stages of their degree (it was recommended reading for several of my first year courses as an undergrad geologist). The late Professor Francis produced a work that is both informative and entertaining, whilst at no time trivialising the subject matter in hand. Pertinent examples and analogies are provided to clarify and illuminate rather than to dumb-down - a distinction sadly lacking from many other volumes covering similar topics. For a more comprehensive coverage of the topic, I would recommend referring to this book alongside either Igneous Petrology by Anthony Hall or Igneous Petrogenesis by Marge Wilson.
on 22 November 2001
This was a book in a long list of preparatory recommended reading for a second level Open University course.
The style of writing is excellent. The content follows naturally from topic to topic. The level of detailis suitable for preparation for a second level University course. It would also be excellent reading for anyone with a general interest in matters scientific. The range of topics is wide and interesting.
on 26 January 2007
Why can't all textbooks be like this? Peter Francis (and Clive Oppenheimer) have taken a slightly more relaxed approach to their textbook, making it a little more personal, with the odd glib opinion or personal remark on taste, which rather than annoying you makes the book instantly more readable, as you can relate to the authors and be transported into their exciting world. Despite the relaxed approach the book is detailed accurate and up-to-date regards the subject. I read this textbook from cover to cover whilst revising for my exams on the subject and for once really enjoyed my revision. If it the book was a little smaller I would even read it on the bus!!!
on 23 February 2007
This is the most accessible third level text book on vulcanism that I have read. It is scholarly and illuminating but infused with some wit even when dealing with geohazards! Aimed at the student of geology, it is nonetheless an accessible read for the enthusiastic amateur and I would highly recommend it.
on 19 August 2015
I knew Peter Francis and I can honestly say that I also admired him. He was one of those people who inspire you, who never finds your questions tedious or tells you that your idea is crazy. He did once tell me that something was crazy - but he added "Not too crazy to be impossible". Clive Oppenheimer, whom I know has done Peter's book a great service in updating the information and I personally would recommend this book to anyone regardless of their background who has an interest in geology and the processes that have built the very Earth we live on. After all a volcano is the only phenomena where you can see the Earth made in front of your very eyes whether at Kilauea or Yellowstone - or indeed any volcano in-between. So much has changed since Peter wrote the original - which I have along with his autograph. To Clive Oppenheimer you have done vulcanology a fantastic service!
on 9 December 2013
This is by far the best geology book I've ever read! It contains everything one needs in order to fully understand volcanism. The book is not elementary, but the text is not dry - the authors are good in narrating (moreover, when they explain things they make them crystal clear for the reader). the story of the Krakatau explosion is told so well that I got the impression it was written by a great novelist with a sense of drama. The only weak point of the book is that it contains only black and white images; colour shots would be a welcome addition in a later version. Yet, the unsurpassable quality of the text more than suffices for this minor weakness.
on 7 April 2013
This is a super useful book when I was studying my final year at uni, I would recommend this book and the seller highly. The book arrived promptly and we'll before the estimated time.
on 22 December 2013
Probably the best volcano book out there for any student. A wealth of information is available here and is is written so as to be easily understood.
on 1 April 2015
Clear writing with many interesting examples. But I expectied more about volcanism on the other planets and moons.