5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, readable, attractive layout., 4 Oct. 2007
John Hardcastle (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
I used several texts for the contract module in the first year of my P-T LLB, in particular Ansons, Stone, Cheshire Furmston & Fifoot and THIS ONE! I found Poole to be by far the most readable and attractively laid out. I may be unusual in that visual layout (typeface, text size, use of colour and shading etc.) has a substantial effect on my span of attention and ability to "soak up" the material. But this is not to detract from the quality of the material. I found concepts very easy to grasp yet there was more than enough detail too. I also purchased poole's casebook, however, I found the summary in the textbook to be excellent and reference to the full case from Westlaw/Lexis was my favoured mode of study.

Poole writes in a very understandable manner, covers the material superbly and helped me achieve 75% in my written exam - which I think says a lot given that I'm a part-time student of 36 years of age with no prior academic background. I can't really recommend it more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally absorbing read, 9 Oct. 2009
ReviewMan "Large" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I am a lay person. My opinions will, to some people, I suspect, reflect that fact. I find the subject of contract law fascinating. I have discovered that judges are, contrary to my previously held belief, very honourable people. They try very hard not to exercise their authority unless they deem it to be absolutely necessary. This book covers all aspects of contract law and has a plentiful supply of case histories to support the text. If I had a 'gripe' (complaint) it would be that, purely for the sake of general interest, I would have liked the author to have given slightly more background details to the cases than she has done. Perhaps there is a legal reason for why she has not done so. In case you are considering buying the book because you have need of clarification of a contract issue for your own needs, I would say that it not a 'paint by numbers' type of book: one needs a certain amount of dedication in order to study the book in its entirety in order for the sum of the parts to make sense.

Textbook on Contract Law
Textbook on Contract Law by Jill Poole (Paperback - 22 May 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01