on 20 January 2007
I like all these Oxford science dictionaries. Mine are v dog-eared from constant grabbing from my side when reading through heavy textbooks. They're great because the entries can be extensive without being too long-winded. Well cross-referenced too. Once you look up one thing you'll end up looking up far more!
on 7 December 2008
This is a wonderful dictionary, and I will sometimes end up reading it like a book! I gave it 4 stars however basically because there do appear to be quite a few words which are completely absent where their presence would have been appreciated. However it is great, it will not be the last zoology dictionary you ever need to buy, but despite that it is worth the purchase.
on 22 March 2012
To be honest, I'd rather give this a 3.5/4 score. This is a good book to have for any enthusiast or student studying zoology or animal-related subjects. However, some definitions lack detail, whereas, the more familiar definitions have more. For example, the definition for scutes is, 'an enlarged bony, dermal plate or scale'. although this definition is correct, it would be nice if it had some examples for this, such as the species which have them i.e sea turtles. Another definition I found to be lacking in detail is the term 'trophallaxis', which was defined as, 'food sharing'. Trophallaxis is the food sharing of individuals within the same community via mouth-to-mouth. The absence of the key words 'mouth-to-mouth' and 'community' make the definition very lacking and useless.

Apart from the lack of detail, the book is nicely presented, with some pictures and extras at the back of the book. It is indeed beneficial for students as it explains the main theories and describes a lot of the biological processes within the body. However, I wouldn't rely solely on this dictionary to research the word thoroughly. It will be good for quick referencing as it doesn't go into too much detail and gives a summary of some concepts.

I think this book would have been much better as a reference if the individual animals species were removed and if the taxonomy was separated from the rest of the more general definitions to prevent confusion
`The Oxford Dictionary of Zoology' as it's name suggests is a dictionary of zoological terms and words. In a basic format it covers a great deal from Aardvark to Zymogenous and it also has a few (and I do a mean a few) diagrams to illustrate more complex entries more clearly. This isn't a glossy, all colour book about zoology, but rather a simple, functional book to be used by zoological students or dedicated amateur naturalists. This also has various chapters at the back covering Endangered Animals, The Universal Genetic Code, Geologic Time-Scale and SI units. This is a clear, well referenced dictionary that should be immensely valuable to students, but of minimal interest to those who have only a passing interest in wildlife or zoology. For these people I would recommend DK's excellent book called `Animal' which is large, glossy, beautifully illustrated and comprehensive.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 23 February 2012
My only regret is to not have bought this earlier in my studies. I cannot imagine how I managed without it ! A great reference book that makes deciphering scientific writing related to biology easy ! It is clear, the words are well explained, it's compact, light, and cheap. For anyone doing zoology, biology or any other degree that touches to these areas, it is a must have !
on 6 October 2014
cant really say much about this book as was for my Granddaughter who at 18 hopes to go to uni next year to do-zoology but she was thrilled with it and said hopes it will help with course work if she gets in anywhere
on 11 January 2013
My daughter is a college student studying Animal Management. This was recommended to her by one of her lecturers and has made desiphering online journals that much easier. She often quotes it in her assignments.
on 7 January 2011
A very use full book, when researching proper terminology of zoological words, And it gives clear definitions of every word in a manner of that can allow you to actually help when righting papers..
on 16 February 2016
This was my bible throughout my Zoology degree - there are so many new words and concepts to take in. Having a hard copy of a dictionary like this saved me a lot of time and angst.
on 3 April 2014
Bought this for my Grandaughter, who is interested
in Vetinary medicine for her future career.
She was very pleased with the book & finds it very useful