5.0 out of 5 stars Best concise dictionary I've used!
As a publications editor, I use my dictionary many times a day. I have found this particular dictionary to be the best I've ever used (I wish I had owned this book when I was in grad school). The definitions are clear and crisp, and the synonyms are a nice additional check on meaning and connotation as well as welcome suggestions for alternate words. This book is a...
Published on 7 April 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - I have an old dictionary that is better
This dictionary probably has more merit as a thesaurus. I use a dictionary to solve crosswords and this edition does not contain many words which I can find in my 1987 edition of Collins concise. At 2.4kgs (5lbs) it is weighty tome. If you do not need a thesaurus then this is definitely not the best buy for you - a concise edition would be better.
Published on 29 Jan 2012 by Probe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 April 2009
A. Campbell "AC" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Wasn't expecting it to be so big or heavy, but a great purchase.
You name the word, it's in it - even the slang words!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - I have an old dictionary that is better, 29 Jan 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossword Aid, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
I've always wanted a combined Dictionary and Thesaurus to help with those difficult crossword clues. This fits the bill superbly and saves having to consult two books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
This dictionary has everything I wanted plus extras like lists of puzzle words and lots of other interesting info aswell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute classic, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Received in parcel post safely and well within the allotted time. The edition was to be a replacement for my old 25 years old item. It's new layout is a vast improvement on the old one. There is no reason to think that this will not give as much good service as my old one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Does what is says on the cover! Perfect dictionary for my mum to help her with her love of crosswords!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every house should have one, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
We've bought many dictionaries over the last few years with each one hoping to be better than the previous but sadly none were. It seemed that whenever my daughter who is now 9 tried to look up a certain word it was never there. I purchased this hoping this would be the last dictionary I would have to buy for a long time...and it is. It arrived quickly and so far it's got every word in it that we can think of. My daughter reads a lot and quite often reads old books with a lot of words in that aren't used very often today (which is where she's struggled to find their meaning in other dictionaries). This one hasn't failed us yet. It's easy to use, the print is large enough to find words easily, even for a 9 year old who used try to get someone else to do it for her. Strongly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thesaueus and Dictionary, 28 Dec 2009
Mrs. M. Haigh "Marjorie" (Cleveland England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
A valuable book but far too big for us , it would be very useful in an office but not much use just for doing crosswords on a train or on a settee.Very heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just wish I'd got one earlier!, 6 April 2009
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
I had been meaning to get a good English dictionary for quite some time now, and I'm so glad I got this one. As stated elsewhere, the information is clearly laid out and the synonyms are very handy. For me personally, I also love to know the origins of words so that was an excellent bonus! As I say, I just wish I'd bought one earlier!

4.0 out of 5 stars Needed, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Had one of each before, which have fallen to bits so brilliant to have it in one book. Arrived on time and a good price. Thanks

Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus
Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus by Oxford Dictionaries (Hardcover - 9 Aug 2007)
20.40