5.0 out of 5 stars Best concise dictionary I've used!
Published on 7 April 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - I have an old dictionary that is better
This dictionary probably has more merit as a thesaurus. I use a dictionary to solve crosswords and this edition does not contain many words which I can find in my 1987 edition of Collins concise. At 2.4kgs (5lbs) it is weighty tome. If you do not need a thesaurus then this is definitely not the best buy for you - a concise edition would be better.
Published on 29 Jan 2012 by Probe

5.0 out of 5 stars Best concise dictionary I've used!, 7 April 1999
By A Customer
As a publications editor, I use my dictionary many times a day. I have found this particular dictionary to be the best I've ever used (I wish I had owned this book when I was in grad school). The definitions are clear and crisp, and the synonyms are a nice additional check on meaning and connotation as well as welcome suggestions for alternate words. This book is a must for writers and editors; it truly is the "ultimate language reference." I bought a copy for the office and a copy for my home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendous., 20 Aug 2008
Stiles (Halifax, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
This is a fabulous dictionary and thesaurus. The explanations are concise and easy to understand and the synonyms are clearly laid out and embedded within the dictionary. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Crossword Solvers!, 26 Aug 2009
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
I use this dictionary purely for improving my vocabulary in e-mails and documents as well as for the odd crossword. It is a permanent fixture on my desk and I use it almost every day. This dictionary and thesaurus in one is perfect for anyone who needs a reference tool for some of the more difficult and challenging crosswords around. I really like the thesaurus being at the end of each word definition as everything you need is in one place and you don't have to keep flicking around to find the answer. There is also a really handy section in the centre with reference lists on everything from dog breeds to phobias! On the negative side I think it is quite pricey (currently £20, reduced from £30) though I still would give 5 stars due to its comprehensive and easy to read style.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for anyone with the need to KNOW!, 4 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I did quite a bit of research before purchasing this book. I have returned to school and am pursuing a Grad. Degree in Psych./Social Services. If you are studying Philosophy, Religion, Physics, Engineering, English Lit.,and the list continues; or merely trying to express yourself better! This book is essential. If it's not in here, it's not worth knowing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!, 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Cannot be described by language!!!!It is so comprehensive. I am a translator in Chinese and English. Therefore, it is essential for me to possess a professional English dictionary and thesaurus. Oxford is the only choice certainly!!!^^

5.0 out of 5 stars dictionary, 23 Feb 2012
Amazon Customer "CS" (LONDON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Phew - a mighty tome!! Big fat heavy book with loads of words in it - what more can you say about a dictionary / thesaurus? Does the job and that's what you need. My last one drowned in a flood so it was time for a renewal - this ticks the boxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Concise Dictionary and Thesaurus, 18 Feb 2009
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
How to put clear definitions and synonyms in just one single book without being too boring for the learner ? You have the answer with this fantastic tool. Don't miss the Wordfinder inside and especially the Foreign Words and Phrases otherwise you won't be able to do a "beau geste" to enter the " beau monde".
Oxford did really a great performance with editing this dictionary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Dictionary and Thesaurus, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
This is a BIG book, so do be aware that it's really not for someone that wants to be able to carry this around easily. For me, it is perfect. I am a writer and wanted something that would help me to expand my vocabulary as well as help me with grammar and spelling. This is an excellent book for all that. It has so many words and definitions in it and I love the fact that the thesaurus is in the same place as the dictionary, making it one place that you look up the word you need. Would highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - I have an old dictionary that is better, 29 Jan 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 April 2009
A. Campbell "AC" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (Hardcover)
Wasn't expecting it to be so big or heavy, but a great purchase.
You name the word, it's in it - even the slang words!

Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus
Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus by Oxford Dictionaries (Hardcover - 9 Aug 2007)