5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute classic
This is, in my opinion, the greatest book ever written. It has everything you could wish for in a book, and more; the length of it may deter someone from reading it but in my opinion you don't really realise the size of the book as you become so embroiled in the story. And what a story it is.

It centres on the wrongful imprisonment of a sailor, Edmond Dantes,...
Published on 4 Jun. 2011 by FarehamBiz

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book but ....
Published on 23 Nov. 2003 by Rf And Tm Walters

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute classic, 4 Jun. 2011

It centres on the wrongful imprisonment of a sailor, Edmond Dantes, his encounter with a fellow prisoner and his eventual escape to riches and revenge on those responsible for his incarceration. One reviewer has already highlighted the various appeals of the book and I agree with them totally - loyalty, despair, revenge, history (several periods), politics, culture, philosophy, humour....I could go on. It was, for me, utterly stimulating both as a great story and as an education.

There is an extremely large number of characters but one part of the book's genius is how they all link together and how their fates become entwined as the various plot threads come together. I wouldn't want to give away any more than that!

I confess I have only read this book once - it had such an impact that I had to share this - but I will read it again because I am sure that will only add to the experience.

This book is life-enhancing and my advice to anyone is to read it and not deprive yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the most engaging adventure story ever written., 9 April 2000
By A Customer
I won't argue that this is the BEST novel ever written but it is without doubt the most entertaining. I defy any other reader not to get caught up in the exultant sweep of Alexandre Dumas's unparalleled imagination. In my experience a great many books have been labelled "unputdownable" but this one really deserves that adjective. Hate, vengeance, romance...and so much more. All the ingredients are here! Just one final tip: if you enjoyed this novel you'll almost certainly enjoy Victor Hugo's brilliant novel, Les Miserables.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest literary works, 28 Mar. 2008
An entralling book of magnificent scale. The way dumas ties the many different links of the story togther is genius. I didn't find one moment of this story boring. It is a long novel and, as such, it is something of a commitment, but it is well worth it. A story that is primarly about the morality of vengeance, I wished at times that I could be transported back to france under the bonapartist revolution. I strongly recommend the penguin unabridge version.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book but ...., 23 Nov. 2003
There can be no doubt that this is one of the great novels of the nineteeth century. The book deals with revenge and injustice and in Monte Cristo invents an avenging angel cutting a swathe through Paris. A fine psychological drama- Dumas' handling of the story shows his theatrical background but it is also mines the experiences of his father who suffered as one of Napolean's generals.

It is generally a great page turner though I found the Rome episodes rather less enthralling than the rest. However, the classic anonymous Victorian translation is rather corrupt omitting some of the more explicit lesbian references (not that they are very explicit anyway) and a whole episode in which Dantes returns as a tourist to his prison cell. This book is well worth reading but get a modern translation!

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 25 Aug. 2013
excellent service and the book was exactly what I expected for the price - nothing more to add at this stage of my life

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story but this is not the best edition, 27 Aug. 2004
S. Greig (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
First of all, the story itself gets a full 5 stars. I only give this edition 4 because the translation is a bit too purist for modern reading tastes. This edition of the book is a new translation of the original French book. A lot of the other editions are based on more modern translations and are a lot easier to read. I have also read the Penguin Classic edition and it's a lot easier to read. This edition seems a bit too "purist" or academic.
The story of this book is one of revenge, played out in loosely three acts:
1) The betrayal, prison and escape
2) The Count enters French society
3) The cold-hearted revenge
Act 1 is fantastic, I imagine that the author of 'Papillon' was a big fan of this book.
Act 2 is good and bad. The way that the rich and charming Count enters the Parisian social scene and ingratiates himself with his former friends is brilliant. The bad part is that this entire section drags along a bit. There is one section in the book where the protagonists are at a ball in Rome. It just seems to drag on!
Act 3 is excellent. You have feelings of "that'll teach you" and a wicked sense of comfort in the acts of revenge! However, I don't know if I missed something but I thought that the end of the book was a small anticlimax.
All in all, an excellent book though I recommend reading an edition with a more modern translation.

5.0 out of 5 stars What time is it!?, 3 Jan. 2013
Adventure Time! This book is fantastic, I can't remember ever wanting to put it down. You'll never be disappointed with Dumas, buy it now or regret it later.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent study of human character, 7 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
In this book I found the great novelist and met his descriptive ability at it's highest peak. Alexandre Dumas comes from France's great potential of producing writers that can move still with their work readers all over the world with the least effort. The characters give the notion that they actually live in the world stage the novelist creates around them. The human knowledge on betrayal is being promoted to the simple truth that one can't be sure of his friend's and the people that surround them. Dumas shows that man is a being that hides in many ways his principles and beliefs so that his intentions may not be visible. The novel is long and proves to be product of deep thought as much as it is entertaining. It consists of over a hundred chapters that drive the emotion of the reader gradually to the fatal end of men that double-crossed Edward Dantes or Count of the small island of Monte Cristo.They also drive the reader through capital cities of the time and show the ways that the haughty aristocracy poses it's attitude to satisfy their tastes. People that are not really aristocrats and upstarts that want to be all the more that they can be to pose to the crowd. The fatality of their acts that even the hero has for me is the goal of the novel and is the reason why it is so daring. Suspence, murder, thieves and tropical places altogether share their part in a really impressing novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, 28 Jan. 2008
Mr. Ayodeji Odelusi (UK) - See all my reviews
In an email to a friend, I had this to say of what surely is one of the most wonderful books of all times:

"I'm currently reading "The Count of Monte Cristo", a monster of a book at almost 1,200 pages. It's definitely one of the best books I've ever read. I strongly recommend it, if you've not read it already (somehow, I suspect you have). It's got everything I value in a book - beautiful (though quaint and antiquated , which makes it more pleasing) language, intrigue, jealousy, vindictiveness, power; in short, very rich in moral fibre.

The only problem is that I'm into the last 70 or so pages, and will finish it soon (a prospect I truly dread!); the obvious problem is - what book does one read after reading a masterpiece like this? A philanderer who has had the good fortune of dating the most desired woman around faces the same problem - who does he date after such an exploit?"

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift, 25 Aug. 2009
Julie Alexander (UK) - See all my reviews
gave this to my bf as a gift, he loves this story but has found it a hard read!

The Count of Monte Cristo (Oxford World's Classics)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Oxford World's Classics) by Alexandre Dumas (Paperback - 17 April 2008)