5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
This book was invaluable for my English literature work.
It has all kinds of entries from all genres, dictionary style, and gives recommendations for further reading within the definitions.
My work and general understanding of the literary terms has greatly improved, and I know I can always consult this!
Published on 12 April 2010 by charliebee

3.0 out of 5 stars Condition
The book itself is fantastic, but, when receiving the book it was not in a 'good' condition. The sides of the book were crumpled and peeling from the book, and when buying it from new I was very disappointed with this.
I will recommend this book to friends on my course, but will make them aware of the poor condition.
Published 9 months ago by Jade

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 April 2010
This review is from: The Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms (Oxford Paperback Reference) (Paperback)
This book was invaluable for my English literature work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential if you're a student of English!, 8 Dec 2012
An invaluable book for any student of English Literature. This book contained terms that I had never even even heard of prior to starting my university course and has been extremely useful in explaining many of the technical terms. I feel as though my knowledge of literary terms has greatly increased and this is reflected in the improved marks which I have recently attained in my essays as a result of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for the teacher or student of Literature, 27 Aug 2012
Doc Barbara "Barbara Daniels" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This paperback (preferable to the Kindle version for ease of use and browsing) is a gem: arranged with the terms in alphabetical order, it lists what seem to be hundreds of technical terms of literary criticism with asterisks by those that are cross-referenced. It ranges from the most basic such as "metaphor" to the more obscure but nevertheless useful words such as "anaphora" (with examples). There are foreign terms like "commedia dell'arte" and "longueur" as well as the very modern "deconstruction". Movements such as the Lake Poets or the New Apocalypse are described simply and clearly; all the definitions are in ordinary standard English and lucidly written. It has some basic Classical terms like "chiasmus" and "occupatio" right through to the semi-colloquial "chick lit". The definitions are quite tight with "pathetic fallacy" as natural phenomena being described as having human feelings whereas you may come across it used more loosely as natural background reflecting mood with no tinge of personification. But this is a good thing in a dictionary whose aim is to preserve and propagate useful terms. You will not regret buying it: it is a first class piece of work and the best I have found.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not baffled, not disappointed, not selling, 18 Feb 2011
J. C. Chamberlain (Manchester, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this book for about a year now and have been popping in and out of it regularly, looking for an explanation of what terms mean in the literature books I study. The terms I've looked up have always been in the book. The explanations are always good enough for me to understand what the terms mean.

The book is well organised and I've been impressed with the willingness of the writer(s?) to refer to examples and then print them. Such as under 'sibilance' which I recently had to look up; the book describes what the term means "The marked reference of the 'hissing' sounds known as sibilants", then gives examples such as "(usually spelt s, sh, zh, c)" then says where it's usually used "The effect, also known as sigmatism after the Greek letter sigma, is often exploited in poetry, as in Longfellow's lines" and then a proper example: "Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing;\ Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness".

It's arranged alphabetically and there's a pronunciation guide at the front (which I've never used as I'm only reading or writing these terms).

Looking through the terms, it's pretty broad what they've included. For example I wouldn't have expected to find synaesthesia in there, as it's not a literary term, but it says it's found in poetry including Keats.

So yes, I do recommend this book to all students and scholars of literature, particularly those who are expected to understand and use poetic terms.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for study, 18 Nov 2012
If you are studying English Lit then this book is vital. It is easy to read and the layout is good. I have used it time after time. Good condition and arrived in the time stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great source of literary information, 8 May 2012
The book is a huge help for all stages of literary study. I used it starting from my undergraduate degree up until my PhD, and it seems it will keep proving to be valuable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary terms, 7 Nov 2011
This book has been invaluable to me as I have begun teaching A Level English Literature and I don't know all the terms! Now I have this book at my fingertips to produce when I don't know a literary feature or term and I have learnt a lot since buying it several weeks ago.
I recommend this book to anyone teaching A Level English Literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for students, 22 April 2014
Everything you could ever need! This was bought along with a dictionary to help me improve my writing for coursework and already I can see it's money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for English Literature Students, 8 Mar 2014
Great handy dictionary for English students.

Contains all the main literary terms, however not very handy if you're studying poetry. Otherwise it's simple to understand and gives great examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy for students studying english literature!, 1 Feb 2014
I always use it when doing my english essays/coursework - it really is a must have for literature students! Contains all the terms you need to know (and more) and explains them with accurate examples which makes the rather complex literary terms simple and accessible to understand.

The Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms (Oxford Paperback Reference)
7.49