5.0 out of 5 stars One of the three most informative books I have ever read
I read the hardcover version three years ago and I'm ready to start it again. There is a lot to get hold of, so I would not recommend anyone to tackle this book unless they are prepared to work at it, or unless this is their specialism. A strong motivation is probably more important than a grounding in biology - I had zero formal education in life sciences, but exposure...
Published on 7 Dec. 2009 by Justin Credible

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not anyone's fault, but I found it rather harder going than I had expected.
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars An Energetic Take on Life, 3 Sept. 2014
Populist attention-grabbing title, as another reviewer has mentioned - but good science inside. Nick Lane has a command of writing such that complex facts and concepts are understandably explained without dumbing down. A good read, thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good scientific read if you are interested in the evolution ..., 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the meaning of life (Paperback)
A good scientific read if you are interested in the evolution of life, biochemistry and fun facts. Gives plenty of extra useful info for biochemistry exams.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than a regular novel although it is not for ..., 23 Mar. 2015
i am hooked, better than a regular novel although it is not for people who are not interested in medicine or the human body...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, cover to cover!, 1 Dec. 2012
A. C. Breach (UK) - See all my reviews
Couldn't recommend this highly enough!

If anyone is thinking about Medical School, then this is an absolute must-read!

I didn't find any of it difficult, really. If you know your basic cell biology and respiratory chains, then you'll see how he couldn't possibly have made it any clearer. Indeed, I never thought it could be made so clear for a general audience.

On the other hand, if proton pumps scare you, you could probably skip the more-technical sections without too much danger to your understanding. The last part (section 7) is on aging, and doesn't use much/any deeply technical stuff at all - and this is probably the bit most people will find most interesting!

I'd even buy it just for that last section.

Anyway, if you do get it, you'll probably end up, like me, thinking about mitochondria like never before - they really are the fundamental units of life.

Just to refer to an earlier reviewer who said "power, sex, suicide" is misleading: not really. Ok, so I already knew that "power" would mean ATP --> energy, but even so, you can't complain about it.

Also, the entire book is written with flair and charisma, and is one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in ages!! Recommend it 100%

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 23 Dec. 2014
Not anyone's fault, but I found it rather harder going than I had expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 15 Oct. 2014
Superb book but expect to work for your entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 18 Sept. 2014
E. M. Robinson "Eva" (uk) - See all my reviews
Interesting book a good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Aug. 2014
Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 10 July 2007
Bengt Larsson "davinci" (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This book is really outstanding. It contains a tremendous lot of interesting new information. Highly recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars A catching title is not everything, 27 Oct. 2013
I really wanted to like this book and I was intrigued by the subject - the origin of life. However, I am not a scientist and I was expecting something more along the lines of "science made easy and interesting" or "the origin of life for dummies".

What I got was a book packed with very detailed information - far too much of it - and written for what I consider a specialized (or at least semi-specialized) public. I struggled to finish it and I did finish it only beacuse I hate not to finish a book. I was constantly hoping it would pick up at some point.

Unfortunately, it did not. I would recommend only to the very specialized and the very interested, but for sure this is not a book for the general public (albeit with a university background)

Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the meaning of life
Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the meaning of life by Nick Lane (Paperback - 26 Oct. 2006)