5.0 out of 5 stars USEFUL!
Published on 5 Jan 2007 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not enough for understand Statistics
Published 19 months ago by Ignácz György

5.0 out of 5 stars USEFUL!, 5 Jan 2007
This review is from: Understanding Statistics (Paperback)
The biggest problem with statistics - at lease from my point of view - is the notations and the format. This books assume that we're all stat-idiots and explains everything from scratch, which is just what you need if you've never done GCSE or A-Level statistics. Upton and Cook might sound a bit patronizing at times, but if you're reading A-level textbooks to keep up in university, like I am, then it's time to put down your pride. I'd say that this book is a perfect compliment for university level statistic textbooks like Newbold's. It actually speaks in human language.

The only problem: it's boring.

But come on people, what do you expect? It's a TEXTBOOK and statistics, as useful as it is, IS BORING.

5.0 out of 5 stars very easy to follow, 9 April 2010
T. Melville (Beijing, China) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Understanding Statistics (Paperback)
Needing to go back to basics after a ahem long break (think 20 years) some of the other reviews I read about this book told me how easy it was to follow from a Non Mathematician point of view, and they were right.

The Authors teach Maths teachers how to teach the subject, and it's written in a style in which anyone who has never looked at Stats before can follow and use this book.

I like the way, that they explain in plain English, give an Example that is relevant and then give you lots of questions, some even from past exam papers.

Overall, I found this book an excellent source of information, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone else. Hence the 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully a perfect complement to school text book, 3 Jan 2011
Mike B (South Herts UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Understanding Statistics (Paperback)
Purchased for my son studying A level maths - based on reviews posted. Delivered quickly and in perfect condition. Initial feedback from my son is that the reviews are correct - complements his text books and has helped his understanding of the subject. A good investment. Have also subsequently purchased the Understanding Pure Mathematics book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not enough for understand Statistics, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Understanding Statistics (Paperback)
Before bying this book, I read several books about Statistics in Hungarian and English as well. Hungary has a good past in Probability, Combinatorics and Graph theories but I think Statistics is not as good as should be in the secondary school and university education. In English I have found several books but most of them were very similar! The disadvantages of these books were as follows: too colourful (so you can not distinguish the important parts), too long (at least 600 hundred pages), the kinds of examples were useless in most of the time, the arrangement in the books (you can find information at the left and middle side as well as the right side on the page, so everywhere!).
The solutions were too formal in examples but nothing about why and when? I often felt that the authors well knew each other's books and sometimes they just changed the title but nothing else! I bought Understanding Statistics because I wanted to know the British education system in A-level statistics. I am not satisfied but at this level I could not find better book. If you want to read good books, I recommend for you: Introduction to Probability and Statistics (Mendenhall) or Statistics: Principles and Methods by Richard A. Johnson. György Ignácz from Hungary.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a relief to find this book, 6 Dec 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Understanding Statistics (Paperback)
I recently had to learn and teach A level statistics from books. I owned 7 or 8 different stats books, which I struggled with and cross-referenced endlessly. It was a fantastic day when I found UNDERSTANDING STATISTICS. The explanations were significantly easier to follow than all the other books I had encountered, while still containing lots of technical details in the footnotes. There are also interesting historical details about the statisticians who developed the techniques being discussed, practical examples, ideas for experiments, and a very good bank of questions (also the answers appear to be reliable).
Whenever anyone asks me anything statistical, I always turn to this book first.
Make sure you look at the UK map smiley face graph.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Statistics - Review by Warren Park, 2 Oct 2009
W. Park (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Understanding Statistics (Paperback)
This is an excellent book that exactly met my needs. It has in depth coverage of statistics, but it is also well written and can be understood very well for a subject that can pose significant communication problems. The fact the book has been in publication for many years is another indicator of how good it is.

Understanding Statistics
Understanding Statistics by Ian Cook (Paperback - 16 Jan 1997)
Ł33.99