5.0 out of 5 stars Ten years on I still remeber this book.
Published on 18 Mar. 2005 by verochio

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning
Published 19 months ago by messageinthemoon

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten years on I still remeber this book., 18 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Oxford Latin Course: Part I: Student's Book: Student's Book Pt.1 (Paperback)
This book was my introduction to Latin at age 11, and all of us in my year look back on those lessons with fondness. Unlike when learning modern foreign languages, there is no need, when learning Latin, to worry about being able to order a coffee, or ask someone the time, or any of the other usual phrases in the tourist catalogue. This frees up the structure of the curriculum so that one can attack the very language itself, which this book does beautifully. The language is taught through narrative, telling the story of Horace, or Quintus as he's known as a boy, and gets straight into the art of translating sentences, not phrases, with more emphasis placed on grammar and structure rather than increasing the students' vocabulary. I recommend this series of books to anyone considering taking up Latin, though I would also recommend going to a class as well. Not because the book fails in any respect as good material for self teaching, but because a few hours a week with the eccentrics that are Latin teachers restores one's faith in humanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best all round course, 6 Sept. 2012
I am mystified as to why this course has not been taken up more widely. All schools use either the "So you really want to Learn Latin?" course, or the dreaded Cambridge course - I say dreaded, because for me (a Latin teacher and tutor), the Cambridge course is illogical and confusing, attempting to teach Latin as if it were a modern language. Most of the children that come to me with problems in Latin have studied the Cambridge course. Avoid it like the plague! Meanwhile, the "So you really..." course is much better and much clearer, but aimed very definitely at 13+ CE prep school boys, which makes it a bit "cheesy" for a more mature learner.
On the other hand, this Oxford course is superior in all respects. It works for year 7 pupils, but also equally well for older students giving Latin a try in year 9 or upwards. It concentrates on nouns and adjectives in the first book, sticking to just the present tense in verbs. This builds up the student's confidence and vocabulary and, crucially, keeps noun grammar separate in their minds from the verbs - a huge problem with the Cambridge course, where students can come out with no idea whether "nominative" refers to nouns or verbs. Then in Book II, the Oxford course hits you with all the verb tenses in quick succession, by which time the student is more than ready for them.
For me, this course should be adopted in all schools forthwith, instead of it bubbling along scarcely in print. There'd be more successful Latin students if it were!

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning, 25 Nov. 2013
If you are considering this course book for self study please be warned. Check first that the Teachers' Book provides the answers to the exercises otherwise you will find it all very frustrating and it can be an expensive mistake. I made that mistake with the first edition. The Teachers' Book in the first edition does not contain any answers to the exercises, and I can find no reference to indicate that it does in the second edition either.

Most of the good references here are from people who have used the book while working with a teacher. In that respect the book may be pretty good. I actually like the story line and enjoyed doing the exercises; however with this book you do need a teacher (or a book) to check your answers. Do not believe what some have said here ie: that you can just read back through the pages and work the answer out. In some simple cases you can, but as the exercises get more complicated believe me you will want to check and it's terribly frustrating if you can't.

So, for a self studier, either check with the publisher that the Teachers' Book contains the answers or go for the course called: 'So you really want to learn Latin'(you buy an exercise book and an answer book to go with it). Also, if you seriously do want to learn, don't bother with one of those 'Learn Latin in two weeks' types of books, because you won't and you will either give up quickly, or complete the book and have to start over again on a proper course to progress. Latin is quite different from English so it is quite complicated to learn...hence start a proper structured course of some sort.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Latin course, 15 July 2011
I completed Book 1 of the first edition before getting this for my son. This second edition is a much smoother learning curve yet still teaches more Latin than the Cambridge equivalent.
The storyline is very memorable beginning with the semi-fictionalised childhood of the poet Horace in Part I and gets stronger and more factually based as the series continues up to his death at the end of Part III. Horace was in Rome at the death of Ceasar, fought with Brutus at Philippi (at the head of a Legion) and became friends with Octavian after the war. The period chosen (probably the most important time in Roman history) is a knockout blow for this series and makes it much easier to re-read passages without boredom. It also keeps the vocabulary refreshed, and in a Latin context, without having to run through word lists.
The series is self-contained featuring appropriate grammatical references and vocabularies at the back of each volume. I finished the three books without recourse to a Latin dictionary. I don't think the Teacher's book is necessary for any of the volumes (I am self-taught and don't have them though I did use Wheelock's in conjunction with Part III). A close and intelligent reading of the text provides all the answers the questions call for.

I initially found the revised layout quite odd after the first series but what extra page turning is required to go through the lessons is more than made up for in the ease of revision and finding an explanation of a grammatical point covered in a previous chapter.

I recommend this course very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this course., 9 Oct. 2013
I home educate my children and have been using this with my just turned 9 year old. She had already completed a very primary Latin text but was not really ready for the next curriculum set I have purchased (Latin in the Christian Trivium). This course perfectly fit her needs and mine as an interim (though clearly it stands perfectly well alone.) I have found it easy to teach from and she is retaining vocabulary and grammatical understanding at a more than satisfactory pace (and enjoying it in the process). I do have additional texts to refer to, but so far have only needed to refer to them once. I highly recommend this course for home educators and whomever else wishes to learn Latin. I only wish they had a similar course in Greek.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Latin Course 1, 4 Oct. 2011
A very different approach to the subject, introducing Latin in the form of an illustrated primary school reader with very selective vocabulary. Elements of grammar are introduced gently in a well-structured manner. Supporting background information e.g. About the life of 'Horace' is entertaining and enlightening.

A much better method than the one I was subjected to nearly fifty years ago - complex, rigid grammar and plenty of vocabulary introduced in declension and conjugation order with associated parts of speech, all reinforced by frequent thrashings with a "ferula"(Latin for 'belt').

5.0 out of 5 stars learning Latin, 7 Feb. 2014
This book is an excellent way for a Latin novice to learn. The only thing missing is the answers to the exercises.

2.0 out of 5 stars warning on buying second hand., 20 Mar. 2015
I knew it was second hand, but it appeared to have been in water, which is disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Oct. 2014
Excellent and came really fast!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It was very helpful, 16 April 2001
By A Customer
This book was very useful to help one recap what one forgets after they recieve a rather useless Alevel. It explained everything very clearly and allowed both me and my daughter to recap learn at ease and at our own pace.

Oxford Latin Course: Part I: Student's Book: Student's Book Pt.1