Just about the right size, this book, for the smaller hands of children aged seven and upwards. Indeed, this is a book for children that will help them grow up - and feel grown up, too!

Divided into ten main sections:

* Space
* Physics...
Published on 30 Jan 2010 by L. E. May

1.0 out of 5 stars very over simplified
We are finding this book very over simplified to the extent that some sections are wrong or very confusing. Coming from a science background I was looking for a book to help explain science and biology to my children. This book was not the right choice.
Published 23 months ago by tom_e

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple science for children - good for unscientific adults too!, 30 Jan 2010
L. E. May "Lester May" (Camden Town, London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ultimate Book of Science: Everything you need to know (Hardcover)

Divided into ten main sections:

* Planet Earth
* Climate, Weather and the Environment
* Human Bodies
* Plants and Animals
* Space
* Physics and how our world works
* Chemicals and how they behave
* Materials and Structures
* Technology and Machines
* Industry and Transport

the book is fully illustrated in colour, with photographs and diagrams, and covers just about everything that first comes to mind.

As a child, I was rubbish at science at school, and not much interested either, if I am honest. But how I now wish I understood the basics and knew a lot more! How I wish I had had this book. It is useful for adults, too, as it shows the basics in an easily understood form and assumes little prior knowledge.

I have learned much by just browsing a few of the 154 topics covered. Earthquakes, tides, clouds, eyes, cancers, insects, polar life, satellites, conductors and insulators, sound and music, detergents, fire, plastics, fibres and textiles, radio, virtual reality, farming, mining, ships and submarines are just some of the subjects covered, mostly one per page.

This book also shows that science can be fun and that science - and the world around us - is really too interesting to just walk on by without asking questions!

Indeed, this book is ideal for preparation on science subjects for your appearance in the local pub quiz, Mastermind, The Weakest Link or Who Wants to be a Millionaire? When you "phone a friend", make sure they have a copy by the telephone!

Give the children in your life a better education: buy this book; it will certainly help most adults learn along with the children they love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Parents, 16 Sep 2012
Well it's a long time since I left school and I have to admit I've forgotten a lot of the things I learnt about science. Now I have a young son I want to be able to accurately answer his questions about thunder, volcanoes, light etc and this book is the perfect tool for that.

As he gets older he will be able to read it too so I know it will get a lot of use. Absolutely fantastic book and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars childrens book, 17 April 2012
Nice book, not too much information in one go for a little mind to cope with.

The seven year old it was bought for, really liked it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter for a young scientist or rusty adult!, 24 Dec 2011
As a primary school teacher, I would recommend this book for children in Key stage 2, Year 3 and above. It explains the basics of all strands of science clearly and in a visually interesting manner with lots of pictures and diagrams. At the same time, it won't overload kids, but give them just enough on each aspect.

It's also a great little read for adults who want to swat up on the basics without wading through more hefty stuff.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 28 Jan 2014
Sarah (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
this was a gift for my friend's children. Perfect for them. I flicked through and it really did seem like it had covered everything. I wish I had one when I was little. I may have learnt something!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reall good book, well laid out, perfect for young children., 29 Jun 2014
J. Lyons - See all my reviews
This has a little of everything but not too much that it turns them off reading it.
Perfect for my 7 year old who never stops asking questions.
Delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 May 2014
This book was for my daughter for christmas and she loves it there is a lot of information and it is in great condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars bought for 6 year old, 23 May 2014
Item arrived promptly and in good condition. Bought for a 6 year old. Very informative but simple enough for kids to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book., 6 Jan 2014
Son loved it - science mad -perfect. Definitely recommend this item for any primary age or up. Loads of useful info.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 22 Oct 2013
good one. i would recommend to friends on this book. Really worth the buy for the kids with lots of information

The Ultimate Book of Science: Everything you need to know