I bought this dictionary to try and persuade my six year old to start looking up works he didn't understand when reading.

The dictionary is really well set out and has nice short entries which make it pretty clear what the meaning of a word is.

Published on 24 Jan 2010 by John in Cornwall

3.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Children's Dictionary
As this is an Oxford dictionary, I expected this to be an 'English' dictionary and so was dissapointed to see the odd Americian spelling, such as realized. That being said, I think that it does give great examples for using the words in a way that children can understand.

Published on 1 Dec 2009 by Mrs. M. T. Cockayne

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good but missing some words you would have expected to be in it, 24 Jan 2010
This review is from: Oxford Children's Dictionary (Hardcover)

The only drawback is because it's a small dictionary, some words which my son finds are simply not in it. This is frustrating for him, which means that I then have to help in find the word in a bigger dictionary. When you start reading children's book in the age range 6-9, it is surprising how many unusual works appear and which aren't in the dictionary. I think that it would be a good idea for the compilers to go through the top 500 (or more) children's books in that age range and make sure all the words are included in the dictionary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for KS2, 31 July 2008
This review is from: Oxford Children's Dictionary (Hardcover)
My son needed something more than his picture dictionary, but not so large he lost interest in looking a word up - and this is perfect.

The only down side is the size (A5) and being a hardback, it is a little heavy for carrying around on a daily basis.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Children's Dictionary, 1 Dec 2009
This review is from: Oxford Children's Dictionary (Hardcover)

I am also dissapointed that not all words are in the dictionary. Whilst that's to be expected, words such as landfill and organic weren't in there and given that kids are learning about those sorts of things these days (my 7 year old is!) then I did expect them to be in the dictionary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 8 Jan 2012
This review is from: Oxford Children's Dictionary (Hardcover)
My daughter is 7 and is now always asking what things mean and also how to spell things so thought it would be perfect to get her a dictionary that would make spelling easier. I thought my very old adult version would be too much for her at this age. As I say, perfect for her at this stage in her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for budding writers - and readers, 16 Dec 2011
Mr. P. Ryan (Wirral, NW England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Children's Dictionary (Hardcover)
This small book contains quite "adult" words, despite its target audience. Sensible choice by the publishers as all definitions are matter-of-fact and thus satisfy curiosity. My 7 year old grandson loves it - that's the acid test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Children's Dictionary, 25 July 2010
This review is from: Oxford Children's Dictionary (Hardcover)
What a brilliant little dictionary for kids! Every letter is colour coded for ease of reference and the book is very easy for children to use and understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great School Dictionary For Primary School, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Oxford Children's Dictionary (Hardcover)
This is a very nice little dictonary ideal for primary school bag. It is nice and colourful with some good pictures. My seven year old daughter loves it and enjoys taking it to school.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little dictionary!, 23 Jan 2012
F. Morimont (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Children's Dictionary (Hardcover)
Smaller in size than I expected,it is still cover a nice vocabulary! I like the different colours for each letter of the alphabet! Nice dictionary!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: Oxford Children's Dictionary (Hardcover)
I chose this for my 6 year old grandson because he is always asking what words mean and interested in the answer. I thought this would encourage him to look up the words he doesn't understand or has difficulty spelling. It is just the right size and I know it will be well-used. A very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Children's Dictionary, 12 Jan 2011
Mrs. Vicky R. Cahoon "Vicky" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oxford Children's Dictionary (Hardcover)
Excellent purchase....my daughter uses at school and it is so easy to find words quickly.
Would recommend to anyone looking for a first dictionary at school...7 year old and up.
Really good buy and good hard cover.

Oxford Children's Dictionary
Oxford Children's Dictionary by Robert Allen (Hardcover - 6 Feb 2003)
6.29