Rethinking Music
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£20.69+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 11 February 2014
I've read a few of Cook's earlier books and found them very helpful in their clarity and common sense approach.The second editor, Everist, was presumably Cook's colleague at Southampton university. Cook has now I believe been elevated to the hallowed halls of Cambridge.

Sadly he now seems to be suffering from that dread disease, academicitis - by which I mean the tendency of many university writers to cram their writings with almost unreadable prose in order presumably to gain intellectual respectability. It really is a waste of time to have to read a passage half a dozen times in order to understand what is going on. It could perhaps be argued that in a book such as this which is a collection of articles written by various authors, it was difficult for Cook and Everist to edit them as tightly as was, I believe, necessary. However, it has to be said that Cook's own contribution to the collection is just about as opaque as the rest. Everist's is slightly more readable. So, all-in-all only worth 3 stars for me.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 23 March 2015
thanks
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Musical Performance: A Guide to Understanding
Musical Performance: A Guide to Understanding by Professor John Rink (Paperback - 12 Dec. 2002)

Beyond the Score: Music as Performance
Beyond the Score: Music as Performance by Nicholas Cook (Hardcover - 13 Mar. 2014)

Musicology: The Key Concepts (Routledge Key Guides)
Musicology: The Key Concepts (Routledge Key Guides) by David Beard (Paperback - 26 May 2005)