on 20 January 2008
I have the advantage of being raught by Professor Richard Norman, so I might be biased (the reader must decided for him/herself). This book has established itself as a set book for a number of courses on Philosophy - and no wonder. Prof. Norman does not describe moral philosophy as such, but explains the thinking of a number of important figures: "The Ancients" described are Plato and Aristotle, and "The Moderns" he lists as Hume, Kant, Mill, Hegel, and Nietzsche. Then Richard Norman discusses briefly some contemporary themes, including Ethics and Marxism, which places these themes into context by relating them to a historical analysis. The book is readable, and wholly accessible: it is also essential reading for the general reader interested in the subject, but also useful for the undergraduate studying Philosophy or Ethics.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 23 January 2002
Fantastic. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone studying moral philosophy at whatever level. Norman manages to clarify all the major points of the topic, which are included on most syllabuses and he gives insight into all the relevant philosophers. For me it has been a lifesaver since having read it I can actually follow further what my teacher is talking about! Buy it! You definitely won't regret it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again