Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 1 May 2000
Although this book is very readable it requires some scientific understanding, and at times it is a little hard going through the sub-atomic particles and their anti-matter equivalents. Nevertheless, it is well worth a read, and there are some fascinating facts (which would be ideal for Trivial Pursuits). Fans of M C Escher will also find a little bit of him too, in Close's search for analogies to explain anomalies in the universe.
on 20 April 2000
I never knew it was possible to get to the frontiers of modern scieence without a single equation. This book does it and is a must read.
on 12 March 2004
This book was hard to get into, there being a lot of waffle at the start, but ultimately I found it fascinating. It taught me some things I didn't realise about Asymmetry (and I have a Physics degree) but without any requirement to have that background. I just felt like I was left gasping for more, which is both good and bad. I wish there was another book to take this subject deeper.
Recommended read for those who have read a lot of other popular science books as on its own it only fills a tiny niche in the grand picture.
on 13 April 2003
The lucifer in the title refers to the chance encounter of the author with Lucifer's status in an otherwise symmetric Tuilleris Garden in Paris. In this book Frank Close disscuses symmetry and its lose with numerous examples from natural and physical sciences. The book is very accessible with plenty of simple examples leading finally to the origin of Universe, and the loss of symmetry that led to separation of forces of nature, and physisist attempt to recreat it with the aid of ever larger particle collider. Throughly enjoyable read.
on 6 June 2000
I must go back and reread this book to understand better the deep sinificance of the information within this book. The information is so well explained that I can follow most of the contents.