5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful
This was extrememly helpful when I was choosing the names of my children. There are extensive listings of many different names with their meanings also. Very good!
Published on 12 Feb. 2001 by debbie_0000@hotmail.com

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I recently purchased this book as a reference book for naming characters in my stories. What I was looking for was a baby names book that would offer me a wide selection of names, with clear definitions and origins.
Published on 28 April 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: A Concise Dictionary of First Names (Paperback)
What I got was a book that isn't particularly clear on what it contains. On the back, it says "Do you know what your name really means?" It claims to provide the answers to your questions. Upon opening the book, I found mostly descriptions of name origins, and barely any information on what the names actually mean.
For example, my name is Chloé. I looked it up, and rather than finding 'meaning = green flourishing shoot' (which I know is what my name means), I found a short paragraph containing biblical references and things about the name being used in the 17th century.
My name is not the only name to not name a full explanation. Almost all of the names in the book are like this.
On the whole I was intensely disappointed with this book, and promptly returned it. If you're looking to discover clear meanings to first names rather than the origins, do not buy this book. It is very detailed if you are interested in the origins of names, but what good is knowing just the origins of a name when you don't know what the name actually means?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 12 Feb. 2001

A Concise Dictionary of First Names
A Concise Dictionary of First Names by Flavia Hodges (Paperback - 21 Jun. 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01