Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 November 2009
When I first looked inside this book, I was annoyed. I expected the book to be in chapters on grapes/regions/maturation etc. But it is essentially a dictionary, in alphabetical order, of everything to do with wine - which I though would make me bored within a few pages of reading - oh how wrong I was.

The book seemlesly flows from page to page not like 1,2,3,4 but 3,1,2,4. As there is other text highlighted which makes you refer back to something else. You can find yourself reading for hours on many differnt topics and not have to think of what to look up next, as the book seems to branch smoothly with information.

I am now the smug connoisseur at dinner partys and it was all too easy from this single book.
on 4 February 2009
We bought the Oxford Companion to Wine for a friend preparing his Wine diploma thinking it could be usefull. It turned out he already bought it and reads it on a daily basis as it is so usefull. So we kept it for ourself and find it fascinating. It answers every query and it is so logical you find what you are looking for very quickly... A must have if you are a wine lover, it is also a very nice book to have on your shelves!
on 22 December 2009
I bought this book because I needed to improve my knowledge on French and Australian wines. It not only helps the beginner but increases the former knowledge I had on some matters. It is also written in such an easy way that even difficult issues are made easier to understand.I really enjoy reading it.
on 13 September 2009
This book has to be the most complete international reference on world wines. It was written for professionals and students who requires top informations and knowledge. Just amazing ! thanks to Jancis for a tremendous work.
on 12 May 2013
Really brilliant! For beginners to experts- honestly it's great. You can read as much or as little as you like- and be as clever or dim about wine and still get the best out of it.
on 18 March 2013
It is a very well-written almost complete wine-book in every aspect. The only thing I can complain about is very few photos and figures. In overall, I am must satisfied
on 23 October 2013
Great reference book / encyclopedia with all aspects of wine covered in an easy to read format. Expect to lose a few hours reading something simple!
on 30 October 2013
This book provides an excellent guide to wines. It was bought as a present for a near and dear relative and he found it splendid.
on 31 May 2013
the book has a coverpicture in yellow, not the one with hands holding grapes. It is a very heavy book! haha,i was shocked when i first got the package because it was so heavy, when i opened it, i got the idea, it's a very thick book with good quailited paper, the prints are very nice as well. thanks a lot.
on 18 February 2013
Jancis Robinson writes so well, has such knowledge and insight in to wines, grapes, regions, in fact all that one needs to know and more, a great read and worth every penny!