on 5 October 2003
I recently started work as a Legal Secretary for a firm of solicitors and wanted a book which gives the correct spellings and meanings of legal terms - this does the job perfectly. I refer to it a lot and my boss, a Partner in the firm, is so impressed with it that even he refers to it from time to time! It is well deserving of five stars.
on 25 March 2008
I have studied all aspects of Tort, Family, Business, Criminal, Property, Land, Contract Law and Civil and Criminal Litigation at Level 3 and every word I have wanted to look up has been in this dictionary. It has been my life line throughout my studies. A must have for all law students at every level.
on 24 March 2002
It's a really good law dictionary that covered every important and basic terms and events in there. It's comprehensive and concise. It would be a really helpful reference or tool book or undergraduate or a-level law students.
on 5 November 2009
Bought this for my studies being a first year undergraduate Law student.
Extremely useful when lecturers sometimes forget to elaborate on word meanings and latin phrases.
It's got a Writing and Citation guide which is a added bonus.
Worth well getting to clarify meanings and terms.
on 28 February 2010
As others have said, this is a great book for explaining legal concepts in straightforward language.

It is available in the Oxford Reference Online database, which you may already have access to. Both my council library online account and my university online account give me access to the book; it's on Oxford Reference Online as "Dictionary of Law".

You may like it so much having used it online that you buy a paper copy!
on 17 April 2009
I brought this book to help to understand the terms used on my surveying course. This has been a gift from heaven already, it helps transform the most complicated legal (sometimes made up, nonexistant)words into normal english that even i can understand!!!
on 12 February 2012
If you are a law student, like I am, you cannot study law without this book, would highly recommend it.
on 5 November 2010
A Dictionary of Law (Oxford Paperback Reference)

I brought this book for my daughter who is doing an llb honours degree at university and she has found it to be her bible it helps her with words and meanings that she has to use for her tutorials and essay's She says she wouldn't be without it very useful indeed.
I am also having to do her case for personal injury against P&O cruises limited and being layman my father and I do not know all the terminology that they use and we have also found this book to be very useful. It's just a pity we didn't know about this book a few years ago when we first had to do my daughters case ourselves as it would of been a great help to us.
I am writting this review so that if anybody finds themselves having to conduct thier own case they can get this book to help them it will make life a lot easier and help them out a great deal!
I cannot recommend this book highly enough you will not be dissapointed
on 25 January 2012
Many law courses and universities in the UK are advising students to pick up a law dictionary to use alongside their studies. One dictionary that some tutors deem useful is the Oxford Dictionary of Law, and so far this dictonary has provided a useful insight into the meaning of certain legal phrases - including latin phrases and words that are used throughout legal documents.
on 5 August 2011
I've just qualified as a barrister and this book was such a help, I honestly think I would have struggled without it because some of these textbooks law students are expected to read seriously do need to be decoded. Very Helpful and Every Law Student should have it!