on 23 April 2011
As Amazon seems not to be able distinguish between reviews for the CD version and the print version I should make it clear this review is for the CD/electronic version not the hardback or the CD that comes with the hardback.
The dictionary is comprehensive and easy to use. I know there will be the occasional word missing as I have used the printed addition but I have found very few of these and none of the other large Spanish English dictionaries are any better. The only thing better is to use a Spanish monolingual dictionary. The Oxford dictionary also has something that is lacking in several electronic dictionaries I have tried; it indicates the geographical usage of the words.
I noticed before purchase that there is a talking function and dismissed this as unimportant as any I have heard before have been very poor. But this one really does work; the pronunciation is accurate and as realistic as you can get from electronically generated speech. Three other features of this: a. choose between peninsular or Mexican pronunciation b. change the speed of the speech c. ability to paste in large chunks of text.
on 8 November 2011
This Version 2 of the 3rd Edition of the Oxford Spanish Dictionary on CD-ROM works with Windows Seven - unlike previous editions and versions. It's still the most comprehensive general dictionary available for the computer in the non-specialist field that's dominated by the much more expensive Routledge tool. So, this Oxford dictionary offers great value for money and if your computer has the Speech Engine, the ability to click on words and shift-click for complete phrases and thus hear them spoken in Castillian Spanish in a not-too-Hawking voice, is a valuable bonus for those who are trying to improve their pronunciation. In this era of cheap mass-data storage on normal computers, the fact that it requires loads of disk-space to run independently without needing to have the CD loaded isn't much of an issue, and even adds to the dictionary's overall simplicity and convenience of use.
on 20 December 2010
I needed a more comprehensive PC Spanish English dictionary and so ordered this CD.
I have not been disappointed, the audio functions are particularly useful.
The detailed explanation is excellent.

The print facility is good, but perhaps later versions will have a memo pad where one's historical searches could be stored , sorted and printed.
Definitely very worth while.
on 31 May 2012
I had the previous version of this but needed to upgrade due to hardware/software incompatibility. As a Brit living in Spain a dictionary is a must have and this is the most comprehensive one I've found, I love the new option where it can speak your translations, really good if you come across a word you're not sure about and also the sentence translation is a must have.
Would definitely recommend to anyone learning Spanish.
on 9 January 2010
THIS IS POSSIBLY THE BEST CD ROM DICTIONARY OF ITS TYPE.
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT TOOL FOR BOTH THE STUDENT AND THE
PROFESSIONAL LINGUIST.
on 30 March 2013
I bought this digital edition hoping that it might be useful for quick referencing, it is quicker then having to go Oxford Online however this resource is far from complete in its definitions and is not good to cross reference, a bit lazy on Oxfords part, and for this reason only it's expensive, the most useful part is the reader the best most realistic I have found yet. But I always find that I have to open my big heavy reliable complete dictionary nothing can replace it
on 21 September 2014
I can't really comment on this from a truly linguistic point of view because I am a newbie to Spanish, but, as a piece of software, it works fine. It does everything I'd expect and (above all) does *not* require you to have the DVD in for it to work.