5.0 out of 5 stars This is a no-faff book that gives it to you straight
Published on 24 Aug. 2004 by E Muller

2.0 out of 5 stars good base of info but much more needed
The book is very good at setting out the basic requirements of essays and i'm sure it'll be very usefull for first year students.

I bought it as a final year part-time student, with my dissertation in mind, which is not what this book is aimed at obviously! I'm afraid it told me nothing I already knew or common sense assumed.
Published on 21 July 2009 by Ms. S. F. Wookey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a no-faff book that gives it to you straight, 24 Aug. 2004
This review is from: One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations (Paperback)
The only essay-writing advice book I've ever come across that actually helps! Mounsey practices what he preaches - tells you what to do and why it works to do it that way, gives examples, and doesn't waffle. It's concise, readable, nicely presented, well-designed, properly-bound, and fits in your bag so you can read it on the bus. Wish I had found this book before I bought the 3 other ones that were no use at all. Highly recommended (in case you hadn't guessed already).

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, helpful advice, 15 Feb. 2006
This review is from: One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations (Paperback)
I have a number of books about writing essays and dissertations, but this one stands out as one of the best. If, like me, you panic at the sign of essays, this will help break it down into managable parts, giving clear advice about how to write, structure and develop an essay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it and wish I'd bought it months ago, 14 Jun. 2006
R. Podmore "RP332" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations (Paperback)
What a pleasant surprise. An easy to read no nonsense book that takes you step by step through writing assignments. I always struggled with shorter assignments, but this book tells you how to lay they them out and what to put in them including how many quotes and where to find them ~ fab!

2.0 out of 5 stars good base of info but much more needed, 21 July 2009
Ms. S. F. Wookey (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars It arrived today..., 3 Oct. 2005
This review is from: One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations (Paperback)
...and it will probably be the most useful book I ever bought! I have difficulty writing intros and conclusions, but this book lays everything out nice and simply, without making you feel stupid for not having a good essay-writing style!

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide to essays and dissertations., 28 April 2010
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations (Paperback)
I came across this book in a shop whilst browsing for study skills books. Becoming a mature student with a background of never having written an essay before is a very daunting prospect.

This book put me at ease, telling me everything I could want to know, backing it up with examples and contextualising the information given, in a clear, concise and easy to digest way without being patronising or over-simplistic.

It couldn't come more highly recommended and I am confident now that it'll make the most enormous difference to me over the next few(!!) years of study.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but a bit superficial, 10 Jan. 2007
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations (Paperback)
Now don't get me wrong, what this book does say is good - I just don't think it goes into enough depth (for my needs anyway). I finished the book feeling like they had just given me a half hour lecture on the basics when what I needed was a week's study.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essays and Dissertations, 16 Nov. 2009
This review is from: One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations (Paperback)
This book is the best book for anyone that is undertaking a higher degree course and A levels. it lays out the key features of writing an assignment, how to plan and structure your essays,writing the word in the correct way,how to prepare for presentations.it also brakes down long essays and short essays into the way that you can understand.it also has key features of meeting deadlines and preparing for exams.i have recommended this book to most of my friends that are undertaking a degree course as i found it really helpfull when i started my studies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for essays...not so much for dissertations, 12 April 2009
This review is from: One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations (Paperback)
This is very well written and informative but is mainly aimed at people writing essays. There is only one chapter on dissertations, and although very good it is too short. Much of the information about essay writing can be transferred to the dissertation writing; but also much of it can't be.
It has a useful section on bibliography and referencing....if you have been asked to use the Chicago method that is. I had never heard of it untill now.

1.0 out of 5 stars SERIOUS WARNING. Beware of printing errors that make the book almost useless!, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations (Paperback)
With most universities giving you decent enough guidelines on how to write essays, a lot of this book will only serve as something you can check in with, to keep yourself on the right path. Unfortunately, the most helpful part of the book - the dissertation section - is MISSING from a number of these books.

Mine, for instance was missing pages 65-93. That's a huge chunk! And it's also everything devoted to dissertations. Something that horrified me given the printer. I expected far better from the Oxford Uni Press.

So if you get this book as a resource, SERIOUSLY take the time to go through and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations
One Step Ahead: Essays and Dissertations by Chris Mounsey (Paperback - 25 July 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01