on 29 March 2004
Before buying this book, I found it very helpful to buy French comic books such as "Boule et Bill" to aid in my learning of French as it made the reading enjoyable and light-hearted, and the pictures really helped me to guess the meaning of the French text. However, I still had to have my dictionary and verb book by my side in case I came across some vocab that I did not know. This book from OUP, saves the trouble of having the dictionary and verb book as all the key phrases and verbs are on the opposite page... Great.. now I can read them on the train during my commute without having to go through the embarressment of pulling out my heavy dictionary because of my poor memory! My only disappointment is that they have not published more of these books. Please publish more... P.s. Even better would be to include a audio cassete/CD so that I can get the pronounciation correct.
on 17 February 2006
I've enjoyed using this book. I wanted reading skills so the fact it is designed to help conversation wasn't particularly useful to me but I wanted to be able to write 'forum' French and this has helped - it has also built my vocabulary. As one reviewer says you won't be rolling on the floor with laughter but the cartoons are amusing and the areas of life they cover are ones that you need even if you have long ago said goodbye to sweet 16 or even sweet 30! Don't be fooled by the cartoon layout into thinking the vocabulary is easy - it isn't. It is sometimes quite challenging but I found that useful. There is a glossary at the back and a verb table so the book is self contained. I used it along with several other grammar books and it did all I wanted it to do. I've re-read the stories as my knowledge of French has improved and it hasn't bored me. There are no exercises.
on 17 February 2006
I'm not saying this is a bad product, but I found it completely incomprehensible with my basic knowledge of French (I'm not clueless but hardly fluent) and it's obviously aimed at people way beyond my skill level. I just wanted other potential buyers to realise it's intermediate at the least.
Perhaps it was the fact that it contained cartoons which threw me off track and made me assume (when purchasing) that it was quite a basic text in a fun format aimed at adults. I think it's actually aimed at people who'd be able to read a whole short story (without pictures!!) in French.
I've decided to try the Rosetta Stone software instead.
on 19 November 2004
You'll smile ruefully, rather than belly-laugh with these cartoons, but they *are* funny. They also look contemporary and the vocabulary is genuinely useful.
on 28 January 2010
This book contains 30 cartoon strips and themes, each supplemented by three sections: Understanding the text, key structures and vocabulary. It also contains a glossary and a table of conjugated verbs. If you like comics and would like to learn French, this is the book for you.
on 31 December 2007
Thoroughly recommend this book for anybody studying GCSE or starting AS/IB level French but not for beginners.
on 15 June 2009
I'm very pleased with this book and wish there were more like it. I find reading French comics is a great way to improve vocabulary anyway, as the pictures are there to help with the meaning, but still I often need to dip into the dictionary and grammar books to help me along. This gets quite tedious at times so having this book explain the vocab and grammar alongside the cartoons is a great alternative. The cartoons are entertaining and cover a wide range of themes - overall I think it's a great option for pain-free and effective learning.
on 12 November 2009
If you like comics and learn french, buy it. Intermediate- beginner stuff with colloquial expressions that can help you sound more native
on 22 March 2013
The cartoons are very funny. ALL the vocabulary used in them is on the opposite page (so no searching or necessity for a dictionary at hand) and is accompanied by brief summaries of the relevant grammar/idioms that the cartoons portray. I used it for a few weeks before a recent holiday and revising my French was a pleasure!
on 22 January 2016
Excellent choice, as it turned out. I'd bought my husband some eco-cartoons in French for Christmas, and thought to round the gift off nicely with some cartoon translation help. What a great idea. I recommend this series wholeheartedly!