on 22 January 2007
With the 7th edition now in colour and much thinner than the 7th (makes it slightly less daunting!) this is still the must have book for any clinical medical student. With clear concise information on most of what you're likely to see on the wards it is definitely worth a purchase! This edition also has many more colour photos and radiographs which are useful for those times when u need to do some work!!
This 7th edition of OHCM, while retaining the much loved concise and essence of the previous editions has been greatly revised, improved and updated. It contains a new chapter on radiology, new information on how to handle common calls and a wider coverage of medications and doses, clinical skills and surgery. The best feature has to be the integrated colour illustrations with pictures and cartoons; and tons of radiographs, CT images, MR1 images etc. The layout is very reader friendly. This is an invaluable study aid for plab and all medical exams. It also has a PDA version, and web links from the book for instant access to evidence based clinical information. This is a must have and if you have a previous edition it is worth the upgrade.

I upgraded to the latest 8th edition and note that there are some changes and new addtions, the first thing you notice is that the colour code it limited to green , yellow and red, in the inside chapters, making for the ultimate "cheese and onions".There more pictures, and revision based on new NICE guidelines and some things in 7th edition are not in the 8th so I use both. There is a new books Oxford access and progress which has q&A with answers based and reference linked to the 8th edition pages. It also has an app version for the I-PHONE /PAD. This is still an invaluable resources.
on 2 January 2008
Guys, and gals, this book doesn't even need an introduction. Being only a 2nd year medic, I thought I'd get this now for later usuage, but it really has helped me out so much already. From the handy revision of essential anatomy and physiology for key conditions, to the layout, including advice on OSCEs, emergencies and much more, this book truly is a life saver, and should be given to every 1st year medical student, as it will benefit them for the rest of their career. What are you waiting for, buy it now, and lap it up!! Invaluable!!
on 30 December 2007
This book covers all areas of internal medicine and surgery in a clear concise way and whats more is that its easy to carry around when your on the wards. This book covers everything from aetiology, epidemiology, clinical features through to the necessary investigations and management of varying conditions. I dont actually know a medical student who doesn't own it!

Perfect for medical students for several reasons:
- Easy to carry
- Includes medical pneumonics (they make its so much easier to remember)
- concise - makes a great revision tool to test your clinical partner
- covers such a broad spectrum of topics
- the radiographs, CT images, MRI section is definately worth a read!!
- it contains evidence-based medicine with easy links to websites

...could it be any better??
on 28 October 2009
This handbook is a total life saver in terms of general reading in hospital! It doesn't have a lot of things in it, but it does have the basic general things that a medical student should know! It fits into a small handbag, and I always have it on me in hospital! It helps me just check up on things when I hear a term that is new to me. I also skim through it while waiting for patients to be preped for surgery!

I would recommend medical students to buy a copy for themselves. It may seem a bit expensive, but it is a good investment as it will last you for at least three years while you're a medical student, and maybe even long after.
on 15 July 2009
As an Extended Scope Physio, this book is an excellent pocket resource allowing me a brief but speedy insight into possible non-MSK diagnoses when my main patient population present with MSK symptoms ... from Neurological causes, to GI or GU problems, or other systemic disease, this book, in its minute form, is an absolutely vital point of reference ... once you know where to look! It's got all the salient points about clinical conditions, including diagnostic info, essential to my role. Now that I've got it, I wouldn't be without it! Sadly, I carry it in my handbag in case I get a moment to spare and need something to read!
on 9 December 2009
The OHCM is simply the best. It has the main virtue I look for in a book: it is objective. Everything you need is easily reachable in seconds. And the approach the authors bring is unique. The introduction and the first chapters are specially awesome, giving tips to understand medicine in its humane side. It is actually mora than just a medicine book, and is worth even more than you pay.
on 6 November 2009
I bought this for my son on his graduation from pre-clinical to clinical. Over dinner that evening I barely got an intelligible word out of him, his dinner went cold (previously unheard of) and he almost missed the last train back to his digs. Since then, he tells me he is hardly ever separated from it...
on 9 May 2008
Have had every edition and I still carry a copy in my bag. Anyone doing acute takes who thinks they don't need to reflect on some aspects of some cases will come to grief. I am reassured when I see junior docs carrying a well worn copy.
on 15 August 2010
As a pharmacist with hospital experience, it is very useful to have this on a daily bases. It helps you to understand certain pathology.