on 17 May 2008
Whilst Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) may be all the rage it must be acknowledged that the Behavioural bit often seems to be playing second or even third fiddle to the Cognitive bit of the title. Yet when it comes to that classic therapeutic comment "I understand what you're saying but it doesn't feel right?" otherwise known as the 'head/heart divide' you can't beat a good behavioural experiment: or as better therapists have said 'you don't have to believe me, test me'. This invaluable book (I know it has been said before) really is one of a kind, written by some of the best CBT practitioners currently working in the UK it is a resource that any therapist should have to hand. Covering a wide range of psychological disorders/ difficulties that clients present with; it offers practical, robust experiments that can be collaboratively agreed upon with the client to explore, challenge and modify unhelpful beliefs, schemas and outcome predictions that are causing the individual psychological distress. A gem of a book. One of the few on the bookshelf in my practice which really is dog eared and in regular use (and so often 'borrowed' by colleagues of all therapeutic persuasions I should put a chain on it.
on 6 November 2011
This book is excellent for those studying on any of the IAPT courses especially if you are having to present videos for change methods. It goes through a lot of the most common presentations and how to carry out a behavioural experiment for each, unfortunately, if your client does not fit into one of the common presentations then it's not as good but can give you an idea of how you might set up your own based on the guidance it offers. Anyone on a CBT course will really enjoy having this book in their collection.
on 18 April 2010
I bought this book as I was working with a patient with needle phobia and had been unable to find a good conceptualisation specific to this elsewhere. This book has this and clear, detailed guidance on the key interventions and cognitions important in this area, as well as theoretical and some statistical information about each disorder (prevalence, etc). Having looked at the other chapters they appear to be equally clear and helpful.

Clearly a major reason for buying this book is for guidance on appropriate behavioural experiments and these are indeed very helpful. My reason for not giving 5 stars is that the experiments on phobias weren't exactly what I needed (not quite relevant to my client's problem) - having said that it gave me enough ideas to create my own experiments and there was a good range included. They can't include everything!

My absolute favourite parts of the book are the 'tales from the front line' stories of experiments not going quite to plan at the end of each chapter. In fact they are so entertaining that I went through the book reading all of these first! Some of them are about subjects I have wondered, "What would I do if that happened?" which is useful.

I would definitely recommend this book to both CBT trainees and to experienced practitioners.
on 14 September 2010
I found the book very readable, practical, useful, and wish I had found it earlier. I have been practising CBT for 8 years and have lots of books and resources, and this is now a favourite and I am sure it will be for many years.
on 6 November 2010
If you have been attending one my courses... Yes... you are looking at the right web-page, this book is definitely on your reading list!!! You probably wont regret adding this manual to your collection. Enjoy the reading!
on 30 July 2014
A very useful addition to the library. Provides a host of ideas and suggestions relating to the testing of unhelpful cognitions.
on 2 July 2013
Excellent scholarly book looks at facts and evidence based and reaserch based practice a genuinely good read for scholars alike
on 24 May 2014
A very informative book. Completely covers all areas of minor mental health disorders. All you need in one little package!
on 12 March 2010
This book is an excellant book for anyone with an interest in CBT. It is easy to read, well referenced and evidence based. Giving lots of clinincal examples for many disorders. It is a good practical guide for behavioural experiments and would recommend this for any CBT trainee but I think I'll still refer to this once an experienced therapist.
Arrived promptly. No concerns with delivery.
Would really recommend this book.
on 20 August 2014
ideal for any practitioner in mental health