1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars What makes a "new book" new?, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Cognitive Neuroscience of Music (Paperback)
I have a deep interest in how the human brain processes music. And am aware of the strong contributions to this research field by Isabelle Peretz and Robert Zatorre. In 2001 they edited "The biological foundations of music", most of which I have read with interest. The present book was published 2003; I have been aware of it but abstained from buying it, since I suspected overlapping with the previous title. Having seen quotations from "The cognitive neuroscience of music" in later publications by other authors, I felt that it was important to get aquainted with this one as well. Now I have realized that the two volumes are more or less identical (a couple of chapters are added, a number of brief "abstracts" are removed). Strongly disappointed by this type of publishing habit I feel more or less cheated. - The scientific content of the book (i.e. both versions) is good, some chapters excellent, but the thinking behind the publication of it/them is not a good custom.

ARRAY(0xb3a3dd74)

The Cognitive Neuroscience of Music
The Cognitive Neuroscience of Music by Isabelle Peretz (Paperback - 10 July 2003)
55.00