on 4 December 2015
The only problem: varying difficulty. At some places a lot of text is devoted to explaining very simple things and in other much smaller text describes much more advanced things.
on 6 July 2013
Getting these "specialist" books is vital and this was as I hoped. I will be using this again and again. Thanks
on 7 August 2014
Worth concentrating over. A great work. Takes a while to read, but well worth it. I would highly recommend it.
on 15 March 2011
Looking at the tags suggested for this book, I found them all to be subjects in which I am deeply interested, and indeed I awaited the arrival of the book with some anticipation. I also hoped to get some insight into the mind and viewpoint of one of our leading thinkers. However, when it arrived, I found it not suitable for newcomers to his philosophy. Although I consider myself fairly well read for a layman in philosophy and science,I could not read more than a few pages. He may be erudite but he doesn't have the knack of making his thought accessible to others.
Perhaps I will do better with the other books of his that I bought at the same time.
A joust between Sir Roger Penrose and the illusions of modern brain theory and more.

I highly recommend Schrodinger's Mind and Matter. Penrose wrote the introduction and like Kurt Godel, Schrodinger believed that there is something else outside the laws of physics.

Sir Roger Penrose himself is a Platonist and he writes very well indeed. What a shame we've elected Richard Dawkins as our champion to send to America. I once watched Dawkins of You Tube and this man even hinted that even physicists are stupid for believing that there is something else! What hubris!
on 5 August 2015
Easy to understand and thought provoking
on 15 November 2014
highly recommended seller
on 22 October 1998
This is a challenging book. It ranges widely through mathematics, quantum mechanics and cosmology, and it does so in depth.
But the effort is worth it. It is well set out and well-written.
If it doesn't come to any definite conclusions, well that is because the answers are still out there waiting to be discovered.
on 16 April 2016