4.0 out of 5 stars Lost In Translation?
As a mammal ecologist, I'm pretty familiar with feeding signs of rodents and also mammal footprints, and general identification... So it is probably quite natural that I'm a bit over-sensitive to things lost in translation. In general, this is a fantastic book, and I will take it with me on any "outing"... but there are a few errors...

On page 67 the photo in...
Published on 28 July 2006 by M. Hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars Errors in the text
I now finally have a good copy of this book, but have had to wait whilst the edition I was sent had errors removed.
I, together with a number of other people, identified errors in the diagrams and text referring to British Deer fotprints.
These errors have, thanks to the publisher, now been put right for future editions.
The window of opportunity for me has...
Published on 13 Mar 2011 by NIgelJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost In Translation?, 28 July 2006
M. Hughes "hachidori" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews

On page 67 the photo in the centre at the bottom of the page says it is a fox print. I am familiar with the technique of putting a line, or an "x" through a track to determine if it is a fox or dog. They mention it above, on the very same page, but the one in the photo doesn't seem to fall in line with my (or their) criteria for a fox track.

On page 53, there are the tracks of a field vole jumping in the snow. (note marks from the "long tail" between the tracks... ) except field voles have particularly short tails. Could this be a bank vole track and it is just a typo??

On 138, there is a photo of a hazelnut eaten by a yellow-necked mouse / wood mouse on the "left" and a bank vole on the "right". I'm pretty sure these are backwards, again, according to both my experience and their text... Mice leave marks all over the outside of the edge of the hole, whereas voles are quite neat and tidy. The photos are backwards...

Don't get me wrong, I particulalry like this book, and I think it is very comprehensive. But I have found several mis-prints.

(sorry, Mr Bang, its a lovley book - I'm not trying to start tearing up this fantastic piece of work, but I'm just genuinely a bit confused...)

So in spite of all my grumbling, I give it 4 stars. But a warning that there are a few tiny mistakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive..., 16 Nov 2003
Nick T. (Surrey, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Animal Tracks and Signs (Natural History Pocket Guides) (Hardcover)
I can't praise this book enough...if you're at this page and you haven't got a copy, why not? It details not only footprints and tracks, but feeding signs, droppings, pellets etc. Nice clear, colourful illustrations and photos, too! Yes, it covers some animals you are unlikely to encounter in the UK (brown bear, anyone?) but that's in addition to in-depth coverage of our more 'local' wildlife...

4.0 out of 5 stars Every walk an adventure with this book!, 3 Aug 2005
Armstrong - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my ten year old, but it has proved fascinating and useful for all the family. How else can you differentiate fox poo from dog poo? Or identify the contents of pellets? We have used every section and it is the only book my son reads for pleasure!
My only criticism would be some of the gaps - probably a regional bias. Not so much on bats for example. But a great book and highly recommended for small (and not so small) nature lovers. It makes every walk an adventure!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 22 Mar 2002
By A Customer
What a fantastic book! As a 4th Year Zoology student, this book has proved an invaluable reference during my fieldwork. It contains information on scat identification (with detailed descritpions and pictures/photos), foot print and other physical signs left by animals to provide a comprehensive collection of field information. This book really filled a niche which has been previously empty. Only gets four stars cause nothing is perfect!

2.0 out of 5 stars Errors in the text, 13 Mar 2011
The window of opportunity for me has gone, sadly, as I needed the book for use with students.
However, I hope the matter is now resolved.
I was begeiled by the fact that Ray Mears had endorsed the book and was disappointed to find that I could not trust it in the field.

4.0 out of 5 stars Animal Tracks and Signs, 21 Jan 2010
Mr. J. H. Bennett (Somerset ,UK) - See all my reviews
This updated version is much better than the original. It has better quality and more photos than the original 1st edition.

It is set out in an easy to follow format with clear and precise images.

Most people who hunt or just enjoy tracking will find this book invaluable.

A must buy for those of us who shoot or conduct pest control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery solved but no use for tracking fish, 16 Feb 2013
K. McKinlay (Location, Location) - See all my reviews
After years of scratching my head as to what lay before me on my lawn every morning, i have now successfully tracked-down the mystery to a one-legged kangaroo giving piggy-back to a baboon with irritable bowel syndrome...with a parrot on its shoulder. I am most grateful for Preben Bang providing me with this informative piece of literature, also his brother Cillit for my spotless kitchen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great info, shame about the size., 17 Oct 2013
I can understand why they made it the size it is, just...if it were a bit smaller I could carry it in the side pocket of my combats. Still ,it fits fine in a bag and is well written, illustrated and explained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide!, 5 Mar 2013
Very representative images in their natural sizes and a wide variety of animals! Ihad already bought the Hamlyn guide but I was a bit disappointed with the images, which made it a bit unhelpful. This one really worhed the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints!!!, 1 Jun 2011
I received this book and immedietly started to read it,straight from the postmans hand.
This book is not like other books i have seen on animal tracks as it tells you so much more, things like, dropping signs, feeding signs and how animals move.
Some of the animals in this book do not relate to this country but please do not let this affect you purchasing this book.
In short; Buy this book because you will NOT regret it!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Animal Tracks and Signs (Natural History Pocket Guides)
Animal Tracks and Signs (Natural History Pocket Guides) by Preben Dahlstrom (Hardcover - 7 Jun 2001)
Used & New from: 2.37