4.0 out of 5 stars Good background reading
This is a recommended textbook for my Final Year economics course of Monetary Policy.
In response to the previous review, I would like to highlight the fact that
a) In order to study Economics (in English)
b) This textbook covers the wide range of issues raised by Monetary Policy for

As an Economics textbook written from a UK perspective I think...
Published on 16 May 2009 by Y. H. Tse

2.0 out of 5 stars A history book
Published 8 months ago by matt

2.0 out of 5 stars A history book, 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: Monetary Economics (Paperback)
If you're interested in the history of development of monetary economics, this book is for you. However, if you like to focus on the use of competiting theories to explain problems around us, this book is a pain, at least should be read by guidance. Even as an historical account of monetary economics, it is not readily readable - the content does not have much focus for each subject, and understanding the essence of each theory becomes much more difficult. Lack of technical details in applications of models, and recent developments in the field.

Students can be better off reading other books, unless you have a lot of time and patience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, undergrads should go for McCallum's book., 15 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Monetary Economics (Paperback)
This is quite frankly the worst textbook I have read on ANY subject. I am required to do a course in Monetary Economics during my second year of a finance course. The lecturer told us to get a copy of Monetary Economics by McCallum, but if you cannot find it then get this. Let me first say that this is no replacement for McCallum's book, it seems to have been written by academics FOR academics. It looks as though the authors went out of their way to make it difficult to read.
There is far too much emphasis on history, and not enough on the theoretical aspects. IS/LM is probably one of the most important things you can learn when being introduced to Monetary Econ, Lewis & Mizen don't recognise this fact. There is too much mathematics and not enough diagrams etc. Even when I tried my hardest to give it a chance, I still gave up about three pages in.
When confronted with revising for my exams I literally sprinted to the library to get the McCallum book, it has so far impressed me infinitly more times than the "other" book. All my fellow students feel the same way. Get the L&M book if you have:- a) a degree in English Language (why are you learning monetary econ!) b)want to learn an impressive array of "big words". c) You have masochistic tendencies.
Academics will not want it because, after all, it is an introductory guide.
If you still haven't realised, I HATE this book...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good background reading, 16 May 2009
Y. H. Tse (UK) - See all my reviews
In response to the previous review, I would like to highlight the fact that
a) In order to study Economics (in English)
b) This textbook covers the wide range of issues raised by Monetary Policy for

As an Economics textbook written from a UK perspective I think it is a very good book for background reading, though admittedly in conjunction with perhaps another course textbook.
It is an undergraduate textbook for Economics so a certain level of maths is to be expected.

In summary, it covers the subject fairly well and is a book written for (students of) Economics.

Monetary Economics
Monetary Economics by Paul D. Mizen (Paperback - 13 July 2000)
49.99