5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, enthralling. A classic adventure story., 27 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Man-Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag (Oxford India Paperbacks) (Paperback)
Once again Corbett captives his readers with his epic struggles, hunting man-eating predators of unimaginable intelligence and ferocity. The account is a true adventure story and transports the reader to the charming, yet dangerous, world of colonial north India.
I read this book in one sitting, unable to put it down. I then immediately ordered the next in the series. This, along with the Temple Tiger and Man-Eaters of Kumaon, form the elements of the most enjoyable and engrossing trilogy I have ever read.
The book is superb reading for hunter, naturalist and traveler alike. Corbett shows sensitivity and respect in his writings on big cats and the inhabitants of the region. It is as much more an account of his general experiences than solely based on big game hunting.
One for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're only going to read one Jim Corbett then make this it., 19 Nov. 2011
J. Merriott (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm lucky enough to have spent quite a bit of time in the region that this is set and the site is still comemorated with a memorial and even a machan up the tree to show where he shot it from. Corbett is rightfully still considered someone who had the best intentions of both people and wildlife as his main concern. The book has a wonderful meandering way of telling the story with anecdotes of other experiences and illustrates just how tough it was to kill the leopard. What comes out throughout the book is the humility and kindness of Corbett and his incredible knowledge of Northern Indian wildlife. His other books are great too, but as this is devoted to just one hunt it really gives the reader something to get their teeth into (excuse the pun).

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking! Jim Corbett, gentleman, Indian lover, ..., 6 Mar. 2015
Shocking!

Jim Corbett, gentleman, Indian lover, antroposoph and dangerous game hunter.
This men hunted men eater on foot, tiger or leopads who have killed hundrets of children, women or men before.

One of the really brave white hunters of his time.

We shall not forget, that tigers still people in India each year and that this conflict is an ever going process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classics, 2 Mar. 2013
If you love history and the real life stories that go with it, you have to read the tales of men and women who lived them, and for me the tales of the hunters like Corbett, Rushby, Paterson and FC Selous are unbeatable.

Fauna, flora and humanity are treated with an exquisite touch. Above all, they write very well. Read also Corbett's "The man-eaters of Kumaon."

5.0 out of 5 stars Love JimCorbett Books, 16 Aug. 2013
Love reading them all over again which I first read abt 28 years ago... will read them over and over again. now i have my own collection while the ones I read all those years ago is from my dad.. these books are not expensive as well which really helps

5.0 out of 5 stars Corbett at his best, 2 Mar. 2011
J. Leedham (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
Can't praise this too highly - Its brilliant- he (Corbett) was a great man, and his love of the wildlife and people of India shine through this work.
Read all he wrote, I do frequently - he's a real hero of mine, and many other people I know

4.0 out of 5 stars Nail biting!, 17 Jan. 2010
Mr. Sagar Karandikar (UK) - See all my reviews
I read it in Marathi-my mother tongue when I was 12 years old and I was absolutely fascinated then. Now I am 30, and reading the same story again,after all these years, this time in English did not fail to create the same impact. The writing style is very classic and raj-nostalgic, which I absolutely adore. However, my English friend found it a bit pastiche! The story is a great page-turner with nail biting near escapes and near deaths. The best part is that it creates a sense of terror in your mind whilst reading it. I was in Mumbai when I read it and I was reasonably worried that one night some leopard might turn up at my apartment door, however, the power of this writing is such that even today as I read it again, this time in England, sitting in on the 4rth floor of my harbourside appt, I felt the urge to check my front door! I felt equally terrorised!
The small size of the book means its a good and quick read, especially if you are a lazy reader.
On the flip side, it has a number of spelling mistakes and some embarrassing grammatical mistakes too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Oct. 2014
good

The Man-Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag (Oxford India Paperbacks)
The Man-Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag (Oxford India Paperbacks) by Jim Corbett (Paperback - 10 Aug. 1989)