4.0 out of 5 stars lovely book badly needs proofreading
I very much enjoyed reading this - it's full of interesting material, engagingly presented. BUT, it badly needs proofreading - a disappointment to find this from such a respectable publisher. Is it the author's responsibility or the publisher's? Somehow it's fallen between the two stools here ...
Published on 9 July 2010 by Antony Galton

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I love words and their origins and this book promised to explain more about them. It succeeded in making me realise how complicated the science of etymology is and the common errors which amateurs like myself make in assuming links between words that don't exist.

Published 8 months ago by DJ

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely book badly needs proofreading, 9 July 2010
This review is from: Word Origins... and How We Know Them: Etymology for Everyone (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 26 April 2014

Unfortunately I found the author's style confusing and irritating. There are lots of linguistic 'jokes' which are terribly unfunny. The book probably makes more sense to a linguistics student than a layperson, but even then could be much more clearly written. I ended up skip-reading it and now it's ready for the secondhand bookshop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Word Origins: but not for everyone., 24 Dec 2012
This is a book for academics, but certainly not for the layman, and it is misleading to recommend it as if it is on a par with the justifiably popular Etymologicon.

The author, having made his own etymological dictionary, has seen fit to list his own laboured excursions into the recondite recesses of of the subject, wading through a swathe of scholarly debates, which he seems to think we should find edifying - a hope undermined by his ponderous style.

4.0 out of 5 stars word origins, 13 July 2009
A Kid's Review
did you know? ....... that's where that word originated from! learn from this book the origns of certain words and their meanings derived from their first use in day to day life.

Word Origins... and How We Know Them: Etymology for Everyone
Word Origins... and How We Know Them: Etymology for Everyone by Anatoly Liberman (Paperback - 1 April 2009)