Format: Hardcover|Change

on 18 August 2012
Martin Laird is well gifted to lead us into areas of 'silence, awareness and contemplation.' He takes us very naturally into the wisdom of the contemplatives, but does not ignore insights gained from psychology,philosphy, and many other aspects of contemporary thought. There are many insights to be gained from someone deeply versed and practiced in contemplation.
His approach comes at a time when we need a break from a diet which sometimes consists only of chattering style prayer-important though this may be for some at certain stages of life and spiritual experience.
It is not difficult reading.If read slowly and thoughtfully we can benefit greatly from an exceptionally spiritually rewarding book.
on 26 June 2013
A book that gets to the heart of contemplative prayer and helps to make it more understandable. It is obviously written by someone who knows about prayer and who also knows about people; it is a compassionate but nonetheless straight book which I think will help most people along the sometimes tricky path to contemplative prayer.
on 30 July 2013
Martin Laird has produced another important book which puts the contemplative life and the call to be a contemplative in the setting of our modern day lives. His knowledge and understanding of human nature and the sins and the struggles we meet are treated with compassion. They are a place where we can find God peace and a depth of prayer that can change our lives.Father Martin has dispelled the myth that this form of prayer belongs to monks nuns and hidden places of prayer such as monasteries and quite churches. The universal nature of prayer is a gift which is our Christian duty to nurture ,work which is a real joy and Father Martin point us in the right direction . A worthy sequel to his first book " into the silent land" , he builds on familiar themes and provides a read to return to again again.
on 3 January 2013
Very good for people who are beginning to explore their inner world of the Spirit. Inspiring, interesting and accessible to someone on a journey.
on 28 December 2012
Martin Laird writes using terms of today-"Noise". But expresses the insights of Christians, from 1600 to 400 years ago, what their hours taught them,speaks of how St.Augustine's friend, later Saint, Alypius, loved Gladiatorial Games, how he would be transfixed by the death of one of them. Knowing how antithetical this was, to being Christian he desired to be. He would lose his sense of self-awareness, autonomy,carried away with the bloodthirsty rapture. Like football, now, or my "buzz" Karaoke! Am at the book's beginning, but Laird states this Journey, can take a lifetime! For me, this Way-of-Silence, Works! Rob.
on 17 October 2014
Although I found this e-book 'A Sunlit Absence' interesting, I was disappointed with its content after reading Laird's 'Into the Silent Land. The Practice of Contemplation' , an earlier book of his. I am glad that I did not read 'A Sunlit Absence' first, because I think that I would not have continued to read another of his books. Nevertheless, I did make numerous highlights whilst reading, so it had an impact. Some may find the book demands an effort to persist with it.
on 20 January 2015
This develops what Laird had already said in "Into the Silent Land", but it is a very useful follow-up.
on 26 June 2015
Essential reading for your journey to your centre......a beautiful book; loved it.
on 22 May 2016