Format: PaperbackChange

on 13 October 2001
To some extent we are are concerned about some aspect(s) of our appearance but BDD develops when that concern becomes an obsessive preoccupation. The suffering and torment can range from mild to severe. At the extreme, to turn your attention inward against yourself in such a negative fashion, can lead to very serious consequences which should never be ignored. BDD is a hidden disorder, often misdiagnosed because the real problem is invariably not presented to medical professionals due to guilt or the fear of misunderstanding, but associated problems such as anxiety, depression and social dysfunction are usually treated. However, treatments tend to be ineffective because all these conditions are underpinned by BDD which, as a core belief, needs to be targeted before the attachments can be tackled.
The good news is that, however serious the problem, BDD is treatable and improvement is possible. A combination of medication, usually SSRI anti-depressants, and psychological treatment, cognitive behaviour therapy, can chip away at those entrenched beliefs. Progress, however slow, is still progress and worth pursuing.
For the BDD sufferer, this book is a godsend. You come to realise that you are not alone, you are not mad and that there is a reason for your seemingly peculiar thoughts and behaviours. In the UK alone, it is thought there are about 400,000 sufferers. Read this book by Dr Katherine Phillips who has carried out extensive research into the disorder and is its most authoriative expert. The knowledge the book imparts is the first prerequisite on the road to recovery. This book could save your life no less.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2002
BDD is such a bizarre disorder and affects people in so many different ways that it can not be adequately summed up in a few paragraphs.
As a sufferer, just reading this book helped me to recognise that BDD was behind many of my own behaviours and that the shame of being obsessed with something so 'trivial' is shared by many. BDD sufferers are not vain and many would just like to consider themselves normal. The treatments covered in this book have helped me to lead a normal life.
on 19 May 2013
This is a book of serious matters. It covers some much in so much detail. It gives the reader a defintie understanding of the illness as well as what is needed (and not) to begin on the road to recovery. I would definitely recommend to suffers and non-suffers as this is a book that alows everyone to come together to combat such a rare yets severe illeness in order to help others.
on 24 August 2015
I have suffered from BDD since I was around 10 years old, (now 28) I got this book to hopefully learn more about the condition and to acquire techniques to overcome it but to be honest I felt so much worse after reading it!

This book made my BDD so much worse and terrified me with the bleak treatment options for BDD, there does not seem to be much structure in the book, I felt I was reading the same few pages over and over again "Jeff thinks this about his nose" sentences like that over and over. I think the book could of been written in half the pages. I think this book may be a great help for someone studying mental health and wants to get inside the mind of a sufferer. But as someone who has suffered from BDD I would avoid this completely!
on 29 January 2015
Fantastic book, honestly - really insightful. Definitely would recommend this to anyone struggling with BDD, anyone with a partner/family member/friend who has BDD, or anyone who may not even have heard of BDD - read this book! Very helpful and informative. Will be getting my partner to read this soon, so he can begin to understand me.
on 25 April 2015
This is my second copy of this book, the first having being rather over-read whilst writing my dissertation at uni some 10 years ago. An excellent and readable book looking at a poorly understood condition.
on 7 May 2008
I have just received this book and CANNOT put it down. I have done a lot fo reasearch into the condition that this books refers to: BDD and this is definately one of the best. Dr. Philips writes so compassionately about sufferers and gives insight into all the variations such as muscle dysmorphia (which I think my brother is definately suffering from) and gives a full list on how you can diagnose this condition. Although I think this condition is a little over self-diagnosed what with celebraties thinking they have it, I did find the list in this book helpful and made me really think about how my brothers personality is actually all to do with this condition.

I think this book would help anyone- someone wanting to understand which is why i bought it, or even a sufferer themselves. I think the hardest part about having BDD is actually acknowledging that you have it.

Thank you Dr. Philips for writing this incredible book.
on 23 May 2014
I bought this book as I wanted to learn more about BDD. It is a very good book and it was a very good price and in good condition for a second hand book
on 30 May 2015
This was great an easy read and I used for a presentation.
For those that struggle with dysmorphic condition I would recommend reading
on 28 February 2009
i think this is a very good and needed book for people and families who suffer from bdd i notice more on the subject now which is good but i found this one very helpful and used it to show my sons phychiatrist that it does not have to be only one body part that is affected this book gave me the courage to say what i feel to a so called proffesional which i proble would not have done if i had not got the information in black and white with me such a shame that there are so few experts on this serious and life threatening disorder highly recomended