5.0 out of 5 stars You too can lead a normal life
BDD is such a bizarre disorder and affects people in so many different ways that it can not be adequately summed up in a few paragraphs.
Published on 2 Nov 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars No 'zero star' option...
Published on 4 Mar 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars You too can lead a normal life, 2 Nov 2002
By A Customer
As a sufferer, just reading this book helped me to recognise that BDD was behind many of my own behaviours and that the shame of being obsessed with something so 'trivial' is shared by many. BDD sufferers are not vain and many would just like to consider themselves normal. The treatments covered in this book have helped me to lead a normal life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive book on BDD by the world expert., 13 Oct 2001
To some extent we are are concerned about some aspect(s) of our appearance but BDD develops when that concern becomes an obsessive preoccupation. The suffering and torment can range from mild to severe. At the extreme, to turn your attention inward against yourself in such a negative fashion, can lead to very serious consequences which should never be ignored. BDD is a hidden disorder, often misdiagnosed because the real problem is invariably not presented to medical professionals due to guilt or the fear of misunderstanding, but associated problems such as anxiety, depression and social dysfunction are usually treated. However, treatments tend to be ineffective because all these conditions are underpinned by BDD which, as a core belief, needs to be targeted before the attachments can be tackled.
The good news is that, however serious the problem, BDD is treatable and improvement is possible. A combination of medication, usually SSRI anti-depressants, and psychological treatment, cognitive behaviour therapy, can chip away at those entrenched beliefs. Progress, however slow, is still progress and worth pursuing.
For the BDD sufferer, this book is a godsend. You come to realise that you are not alone, you are not mad and that there is a reason for your seemingly peculiar thoughts and behaviours. In the UK alone, it is thought there are about 400,000 sufferers. Read this book by Dr Katherine Phillips who has carried out extensive research into the disorder and is its most authoriative expert. The knowledge the book imparts is the first prerequisite on the road to recovery. This book could save your life no less.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Understanding, 19 May 2013
This review is from: The Broken Mirror: Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder (Paperback)
This is a book of serious matters. It covers some much in so much detail. It gives the reader a defintie understanding of the illness as well as what is needed (and not) to begin on the road to recovery. I would definitely recommend to suffers and non-suffers as this is a book that alows everyone to come together to combat such a rare yets severe illeness in order to help others.

4.0 out of 5 stars broken mirror, 23 May 2014
Mrs. Helen E. Ogden "HOgden" (Newstate) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as I wanted to learn more about BDD. It is a very good book and it was a very good price and in good condition for a second hand book

5.0 out of 5 stars UNDERSTANDING YOUR DIAGNOSIS, 4 Feb 2007
Being diagnosed is the first step to getting better from any disorder- reading on the internet and reading books like this allow you to understand your diagnosis better and start to be healed. As a BDD sufferer myself I was very interested to read up about the disorder and found this book very helpful. I am not a complete loony- I have an illness that is understood and treatable. This book left no questions unanswered- it is the best self help book I have read and did not confuse with long scientific jargon. It inspired and helped me to write my memoir about suffering BDD 'Suicide Junkie' that is also available from Amazon. Read these two books if you are a sufferer or are trying to understand a sufferer better- they are invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Dr, Philips, 7 May 2008
I have just received this book and CANNOT put it down. I have done a lot fo reasearch into the condition that this books refers to: BDD and this is definately one of the best. Dr. Philips writes so compassionately about sufferers and gives insight into all the variations such as muscle dysmorphia (which I think my brother is definately suffering from) and gives a full list on how you can diagnose this condition. Although I think this condition is a little over self-diagnosed what with celebraties thinking they have it, I did find the list in this book helpful and made me really think about how my brothers personality is actually all to do with this condition.

I think this book would help anyone- someone wanting to understand which is why i bought it, or even a sufferer themselves. I think the hardest part about having BDD is actually acknowledging that you have it.

Thank you Dr. Philips for writing this incredible book.

5.0 out of 5 stars much needed book, 28 Feb 2009
S. E. Feldman "SORAYA" (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
i think this is a very good and needed book for people and families who suffer from bdd i notice more on the subject now which is good but i found this one very helpful and used it to show my sons phychiatrist that it does not have to be only one body part that is affected this book gave me the courage to say what i feel to a so called proffesional which i proble would not have done if i had not got the information in black and white with me such a shame that there are so few experts on this serious and life threatening disorder highly recomended

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful., 9 Oct 2010
Didn't read much of it myself, as I purchased it to help a friend. A quick read of the first couple of chapters revealed just how far it was letting me into the intended recipients head. A good insight into this condition.

1.0 out of 5 stars No 'zero star' option..., 4 Mar 2010
It's taken me five years to bother to come on Amazon and write a review about this book- that's how bad it is. There are some writers who publish because all their peers in their field are doing so. And to make a tidy profit on a topic which they know isn't that well understood- while they're at it. Katharine A. Phillips is one of those. If there was ever a prime example of vanity publishing- this is it. Nowhere in the 300 pages of fluff and bluff does she provide an explanation for why Body Dysmorphic Disorder occurs. Negative thoughts lead to negative behaviour? People who think they're ugly avoid social situations and have anxiety? Genius!! We really needed a table and diagram to explain what we go through everyday. The book has no substance or backbone. We're supposed to be sold on the strength of the examples provided, which become repetitive and monontonous as the book progresses (or fails to progress). Worst of all however, is the solution that Katharine Phillips proposes: the drugging of patients. Having been on an antidepressant myself for 6 years and had my body and life destroyed by it- I can safely say that these drugs are not only ineffective but dangerous. The scientific community has openly come out and admitted that not much is known about these drugs work and each year more damning reports on the negative and permanent affects (e.g sexual dysfunction even years after stopping) have come out. I think it's extremely irresponsible of Ms. Phillips to be proposing a solution in the form of drugs that she barely knows anything about for a disorder that she clearly knows even less about, if we are to judge by her book. I seriously doubt source of the other positive reviews and highly recommend that you don't buy this book.

The Broken Mirror: Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder
The Broken Mirror: Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder by Katharine A. Phillips (Paperback - 30 Jun 2005)