Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 November 1996
This is an invaluable resource for anyone with
Bipolar Disorder (Manic-Depressive Illness) or
anyone who loves them. Though targeted at
medical professionals, most of the information
presented is well within the grasp of an intelligent
and motivated layperson. I'm not a doctor of any
sort, but I *do* have Bipolar Disorder, and take
an active interest and role in my own health-care...
this is a terrific book, and it summarizes what is
known about the causes, treatment, and management
of this disorder as of about 1990. (Hopefully,
there will be an update soon!)
on 7 March 1998
I bought and used this text for years before I came across Kay Jamison's autobiography, and found it to be outstandingly kind, compassionate, empathic, and understanding of its subjects in a way not seen in our field since the best writing of Freud. Having learned of Dr. Jamison's personal journey through manic depressive illness, I can more readily understand how this textbook came to be so inspired and inspiring. An excellent text for students, to teach compassion as well as science; perhaps quite technical for many sufferers and their family members, but worth the effort for those who want the very best in information about manic depression. -Phil Torrance MD (Diplomate in Psychiatry)
on 15 October 2006
The book is completely authoritative about the theme of Manic-Depressive Illness (nowadays euphemistically called Bipolar Disorder) and reflects a huge effort of Doctors Frederick Goodwin and Kay R. Jamison in advancing on the understanding, study and organisations of dispersed data, and more.

Now, after more than 15 years from its first edition, this work shows some aging in various areas like statistical data, pharmacology and new treatment solutions, psychotherapeutic additions, among many other aspects. A new revised and amplified edition would be great and I'll be looking after it. Then, I'm sure I'll give 6 out of 5 stars to the book.

A must buy for clinicians, patients and their families.

Although some data is not simple to understand for the non-specialists (like me) I found the book quiet readable and accessible and it provided important information and knowledge about this disease.
on 10 July 1997
This book is by far the most thorough resource on bipolar (manic-depression) I've seen, even referred too by my psychiatry texts.

It has helped me understand a disease that is in my family and was misunderstood and misdiagnosed for years.

The book gives both psychological and medical aspects of this dangerous illness.

This is not light reading. It is full of research findings and charts.
on 1 March 1999
Goodwin and Jamison go far beyond any other authors in compiling information regarding manic depressive illness. From etiology, treatment, genetics, psychosocial factors and case studies, Manic Depressive Illness is a resource that every clinician treating bipolar disorder must have.I am in great anticipation of the 2nd edition!
on 2 June 2013
Thorough and by a well informed and creative, experienced and sensitive clinician. I prefer reading her novels, but this textbook is written with that honest (and knowledgable) curiosity that puts it way up above any standard psychiatry text books.
on 2 November 2014
Does exactly what it should when it should.