Published on 15 Feb 2010 by Jack

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of date
Published on 21 April 2006 by French legal translator

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best "maps" of the territories of ego loss you can find in words, 15 Feb 2010
This review is from: Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines: Or Seven Books of Wisdom of the Great Path, According to the Late Lama Kazi Dawa-Samdup's English Rendering (Paperback)
I read this book re-translated from English to Greek and I would say that the essence of the Tibetan teachings is still there (and I think would still be there after several re-translations as this is the way it works with the spirit of "wisdom"). Furthermore, I think that reading this book and complaining about the "bad translation" work means you at least kind of miss the whole point. But it seems that some people do have a problem with the translation so I would suggest that if you are looking for a book that will help you learn the Tibetan language perfectly, this one might not do (I'm not sure about this actually). Buy it only if you are looking for a book that contains several techniques and tips that can be used complementary to your own efforts in meditation in order to help you reach states of less and less ego (and into "nirvana" or call it whatever you like, the name doesn't change the essence). The way it works is that many people have took the journey out of their ego for many thousands of years, like you are, and them speaking of things that you also personally find while meditating might help you, working somewhat like a "map" of already discovered territories.
To be practical though, if someone actually has read this book and has also read of a better translation (which I doubt since this is a unique collection of several Tibetan works), then please do suggest of a better translation than this one, otherwise, if there is no better choice of translation, I surely recommend this book for all those modern "yogis" out there. And to be honest, I don't really think that such a book would need a recommendation by me, because even if it had only 1 star it would still sit there from above laughing at our ignorance; I'm just writing this review for those few of you who are looking for a really good book and are about to be discouraged by looking at the reviews here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Revisiting an old friend, 13 Jan 2013
I first owned this book as a paperback in about 1970 , and it formed part of my introduction to Tibetan Buddhism. At the time it had a great impact but eventually I chose a different path, and passed this and the other books in the series on. Now I am revisiting Buddhism and came across this and the other Evans Wentz titles as e-books and out of curiosity bought this and the Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation. In 1970 it was not clear to me what context the various texts translated in this volume had, EW and others added a lot of commentary, which was useful at the time but which now looks rather dated. Fortunately the books now have a second preface which adds a lot more context. I was surprised to realise just how much the precepts outlined in this book have guided my subsequent life, (in a positive manner). Nowadays there is a much wider range of translated material available and numerous other sources of information on Buddadharma through many traditions and lineages that have propagated to the West and therefore I would not necessarily recommend this as an introductory work. All of the tantric yogas outlined need elaboration and proper foundation practices and initiation if they are to be attempted, but as background information they make interesting reading. I hold this book in kind esteem and pay tribute to the editor and translator who were the first to make these teachings available in the English language. For me its appeal is its historical value and as a personal souvenir.

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent introduction for westerners going it alone, 6 May 2002
By A Customer
The writing style is charmingly old fashioned but unassailably authoritative. I have a vast collection of translations of eastern classics and this ranks very high amongst those that come close to describing my experiences in self taught meditation practice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of date, 21 April 2006
Unfortunately OUP keep on trying to make money out of Evans-Wentz's inaccurate and distorted "translations". Tibetology has moved on a long way since the 1920s. Evans-Wentz's approach was to get his Sikkimese secretary to do the translations and then rewrite them so they would fit in with Hinduism. This could be interesting as an example of western misconceptions about Buddhism. Otherwise I can't see the point in publishing it.

ARRAY(0xa80c09cc)