5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent book for learning to read Greek
Published on 29 Nov 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Athenaze I and II are disappointing. The books' single greatest weakness is that it simply takes too long to teach them. Teaching with the book 4 days per week, and omitting portions of the exercizes, no one in my department has ever succeeded in getting a class even close to all the way through the text. In some cases not even a THIRD semester sufficed.
There...
Published on 30 Oct 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent book for learning to read Greek, 29 Nov 1997
By A Customer
I started to learn Greek about thirty years ago. I have never taken a course, but have tried learning from a number of textbooks. I have always given up in frustration, until now. Some of the other books were excellent in terms of clarity and thoroughness. From them I had learned to slowly _decode_ Greek, but never to _read_ it. This book, together with the second volume, are really teaching me to read with fluency. (I've finished 21 of the 32 chapters contained in the two books, 16 chapters per book.) The feature of this set of books, missing in all the other books I have tried (five different books, if I recall correctly), is a great deal of _easy_ reading material to develop fluency in reading. The other books I have tried all had less reading material, and that material got hard quickly. In this book there is a really fine gradual introduction of grammar and vocabulary, with so much practice reading material, that I found myself reading with understanding without the word-by-word decoding I had to go through in all the other books I tried. By the time I finish the second book, I will be ready, I think, to read real Greek, not just slowly and painfully decode it. What I have found in the book so far is a drastically simplified language that is pretty far from any real Greek that I have struggled with in the past. But with each chapter the language gets closer to real Greek. I am quite hopeful that by the time I finish the books--they will be (with one exception) the first Greek books I have ever worked through to the end--I will be ready for real Greek. After thirty years! I am so grateful to the authors.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good university coursebook, 12 Jan 2004
A handful of the reviews written before this one said what an awful book Athenaze is, however those reviews were written by GCSE students.
If you're a younger student, studying for GCSE or A Level Greek, this is most probably not the book for you, unless you have a good grasp of most languages. Of course, what your teachers set the course texts as you have little control over, but it seems fairly evident to me, as a university student looking at going in to lecturing (and hopefully teaching Ancient Greek) that it is not suitable for anyone lower than university level.
That said, I feel this course book is an excellent aid for those at university wishing to study Ancient Greek. It starts with the very basics, but seeming quite advanced to the student, the first few pages including half a page of continuous (simple) Greek text. The course matter is, until around unit 5 or so, terribly dull (trust me in that you will get bored of Dikaiopolis and his plough), but you have to start somewhere, and I don't know of any course books with better material!
The flow of the book is sometimes slightly strange, in that e- and a- contracted verbs are introduced very early on, while participles are introduced later, however the coverage of all subjects (in whatever order they're in) is always good.
In summary, I feel this course (both books I & II) to be ideal for undergraduates & postgradutes to get a fairly firm understanding of Ancient Greek, however I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone studying Greek at secondary school.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't still be taking Greek without this book, 3 Dec 1998
By A Customer
I hated taking foreign lanaguages in middle and high school, but decided to give Greek a try this year in college. Greek is now probably my favorite class, and this book is one of the reasons.
The continuing storyline throughout the readings made the work more interesting--I wanted to read on to see what happened next. Reading the passages was fun instead of drudgery. If our textbook had been something different, I might have dropped the course early on.
We'll be using the second Athenaze book next semester, and I'm really looking forward to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems!, 11 Feb 2004
Ok, so I'm still learning from the second of the books in this series, but my class seems to have no complaints about the text, except that those of us who have already learnt Latin from Mr Balme were disappointed at the lack of pretty colour pictures (and the wasting of class time when a debate ensured about the gender of various figures...)
True, you do spend an awful lot of time in the present tense, but it makes sense to get that firmly stuck in your head before learning all the others (especially the aorist...) and the author obviously considers this a good tactic since his Latin text does the same.
I suppose it may be a little difficult to understand in some parts if you've never learnt a language before, but if you've studied grammar before it's fine... and if you aren't teaching yourself it shouldn't be a problem at all (I am so glad I've had such great teachers...)
And if all else fails you could always do what we do in class and MAKE it fun... even if that is to the detriment of the book (and Mr Balme... sorry... but honestly... Dikaeopolis and his stupid rock were just the beginning of our descent into madness...)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 Oct 1998
By A Customer
There are some errors in the Greek and even in the morphological tables -- I'm talking howlers. The Greek also sometimes exhibits solecisms, but I doubt they do much harm to the students' learning process. They might hurt the teacher's delicate sensibilities, but that's all.
It has been my experience (I have taught with the books three times) that the one marked virtue of the series is that students who get close to the end of the book can read Herodotus with some proficiency, and have developed a pretty good working vocabulary for him. On the other hand, the inclusion of selections from the Acharnians is of little value. It was recently derided by my present class, who put it thus: "We're not reading or translating Aristophanes. We're reading the GLOSSES to Aristophanes."
Some students like the ongoing story of Dikaiopolis and his family that the reading centers upon. Others find it infantile and condescending.

4.0 out of 5 stars An accessible book to Ancient Greek, 5 Dec 2009
Anthony Lewis "graecofil" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book that quickly builds up vocabulary and grammar. Greek has a lot of grammar to it, so a gentle introduction is needed and it's what is delivered. The text provides historical background information and the Greek text content is interesting; so many books have such dry texts but this breaks the mould. One issue is that it presents the declension of nouns in the order Nom, Voc, Gen, Dat, Acc. While this is the historical approach to grammar, it is a change from the first edition, which orders the declension as Nom, Acc, Gen, Dat, and the change is unwelcome. The Nominative and Accusative, when paired together, render the declension easier to remember given the similarity in case ending (sometimes being exactly the same). Otherwise, I do recommend this book to learners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eucharisto, 25 July 1998
By A Customer
This book helped me more than I ever expected. I couldn't have gotten through my Greek class without it. The use of short reading passages are extremely helpful, since our purpose in learning Attic Greek is to read it rather than to speak it. It definitely is one of the best texts I have seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 3 Oct 2013
Was a pretty good price, and was the more recent version of the book, which I needed for my course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Athenaze: Teacher's Handbook I: Introduction to Ancient Greek: Teachers Handbook Bk.1 (Paperback)
This book compliments the students handbook and is a really useful aid when needing to check answers and read the background information.

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect introduction to Attic Greek., 15 July 1998
By A Customer
Without overwhelming the beginner, this book provides an excellent format in which the language is gradually explained. The novice will easily be able to begin reading the texts, and with careful study will quickly progress to the more difficult text level at the end of the book. This is the perfect text for an individual who is confident in a self-taught language setting. If this text is used in conjunction with volume II, one will be able to comprehend simple classical texts with the aide of a lexicon.

16.50