5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, collectable and practical
I don't want to duplicate the previous positive comments about this undoubtedly outstanding world class dictionary.

Due to my engineering background and the fact that english is my second language, I thought that this dictionary
would be too advanced for me or perhaps I won't utilise its content to the full extend. I soon realised though that
I...
Published on 18 Oct 2012 by Kostas

3.0 out of 5 stars Many pictures made me confused
When I searched "Oxford advance learner dictionary" it showed one cover book and I was informed that it has CD-ROM with book but when I clicked to choose this product the cover changed from the previous page. So, I don't know which is the real cover. Then, finally, I got the book without CD-ROM. It's a little bit disappointed.
Published 13 months ago by Nawarat Romchampa

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, collectable and practical, 18 Oct 2012
Kostas (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews

I benefited a lot by exposing my knowledge to an unlimited tank of english words and descriptions like those included in
this dictionary. So, it was a good idea not to get the less expanded 'Oxford Students Dictionary' version, which is an exceptionally good dictionary too, but the 'Advanced' version is the one that you will never have to change or upgrade.

The pages of the dictionary are thin, they feel like a cigarette paper, but don't worry, they don't have a
'see-through' appearance, so your reading experience will be enjoyable. Personally, I prefer the paperback version,
instead of the hardback, since it allows to bend the book and scroll through the pages faster when you search
for a word.

The included CD contains ALL words of the printed dictionary. It's very practical to use on your PC,
it includes both english and american spoken pronunciation. Each word's description (where applicable) also includes
thesaurus, word origin, verb forms and synonyms.

I've read on the OED website, and this is another reason for me to get this dictionary, that the printed
versions will probably stop forever. So, this book may perhaps become a collectable item!
I'm glad I got a copy of it before it becomes available only in CD version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Dictionary!, 16 Jan 2011
Great dictionary, i love the CD with all the included features on it.
Super delivery and I enjoy using and studing english with this Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.
I will strongly recomand this edition to everyone who want a easy/nice study time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the best, 2 Jan 2013
I really like this dictionary, its content and the CD-ROM inside it.

Using Gnu/Linux, I was really happy to found out that the provided software also works with it! (it says working for Ubuntu, but you can make it work for other distributions as well).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Dictionary, 22 Jan 2014
The dictionary has many features, but the one thing which stands out most for me is that it contains proper explanations for the usage of various words, and even presents idioms for many words. Although it is not a dictionary of idioms and proverbs - it is no doubt a most useful addition to my library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Many pictures made me confused, 29 Oct 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Dictionary, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 8th Edition: Paperback (Paperback)
Thorough descriptions and amazing appendixes, especially the "Writing Tutor". Lovely edition with a nice cover. Very good to handle and big but not too big to carry.

4.0 out of 5 stars The learner's dictionary, 13 Oct 2011
This dictionary is of grate help for someone like me, I'm lerning English her in spain and it's very dificult to find a dictionary with good and clear explenations.
It has a 3000 key word vocabulary trainer that's grate and very helpfull and lots of grama definitions

5.0 out of 5 stars it is the dictionary, 10 July 2012
I don't think there is much to say about the book. Suffice to say 'it is the dictionary, the best in its catagory!'. I have had this dictionary since its third edition back 20 years ago. Currently i have two of them ( at home n office). It is a must for individuals' whom English is a second language. Packaging very good (environmentally conscious). Delivery time fantastic! Overall 5 star!

Edit: If u r not the old generation like me who prefers to read book/a hard copy (I meant) than a digital copy, then here is a link to the official OALD 8th edition (what is good about it is that it is for free!). I hope I have saved u from spending a penny more, lol.

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent dictionary, 12 Sep 2010
i am very pleased with the dictionary i bought except one thing about that the search result can't be selected using arrow key.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thinking about getting Longman's dictionary instead, 9 Aug 2013
The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary was recommended to me, but in some ways I regret taking up that recommendation.

Yes, it has an approachable page layout and all the crucial information that a dictionary should (phonemes, synonyms, collocations, example sentences etc.). It also has a handy section on written protocols etc together with a little picture dictionary at the back.

The reason why I don't rate this dictionary that highly is because the model sentences I've encountered so far sound bland, artificial and wooden much too frequently. Here are a few examples chosen at random : Refinement - "This particular model has a further refinement" (it just stops there); Paragon - "I make no claim to be a paragon"; Stutter - "I managed to stutter a reply"; Caricature - "He had unfairly presented a caricature of my views". It sounds to me as if the individual who contrived these sentences and others like them had a very poor grasp of the language. There are plenty of authors that have a knack with words and a sensitivity to the natural rhythms and tone of the language. No doubt they live a long way away from the narrow precincts of Oxford Uni. It was also rather annoying to discover that there is also a decided lack of example sentence(s) for those tricky words whose precise meaning is elusive until it is clarified by a good model sentence.

In no small measure the Longman Advanced Learners Dictionary appeared not to suffer from these shortcomings - at least as far as I could tell from a careful flicking through. So I'm thinking of giving away the Oxford and getting the Longman instead. It seems to have all the trappings of the Oxford and something which the Oxford lacks - class of content.

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 8th Edition: Paperback