5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Dictionary There Is
Published on 19 Sep 2001 by ghettosvend75@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
The dictionary is excellent as described and a product well worth purchasing, however I didn't get the 32-page Oxford 3000(tm) Vocabulary Trainer along with the purchase as described in the product description. Whereas I can perhaps do without it in the grand scope of things, it still falls under the category of false marketing in my opinion. Therefore only three stars...
Published on 21 Jun 2009 by Martyn V

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Dictionary There Is, 19 Sep 2001
As a student at the Business College of Copenhagen, studying English/IT, this has be become one of my most important tools. Being both easy to use and containing practically every word in English i could possible think of, this is a book that i would recommend anyone who deals with English on a professional level. But at the same time I would also recommend it to those who think that their english skills are perfect, because thos book will expand even the largest vocabulary!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this dictionary, 29 Aug 1998
By A Customer
A.S. Hornby's dictionary is so clear and easy to use. I think it's the best English dictionary out there for anybody who want to learn English. Especially this edition is so good for advanced learners of English. I highly recommend this one. They come with many different kind of cover: flexicover, paperback, hardback and lamented boards. I own a flexicover edition and I just love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most informative, and complete work for a student, 11 July 1999
By A Customer
I first was introduced to this dictionary when beginning my studies of English in 1977 at the University in Belgrade. It surprised me how non-threatening, easy to follow and thorough a book of its kind could be. Since then, I have moved to the United States and am now teaching English in New York City. The dictionary is still extremely useful with its Grammar, usage, and spelling. I am currently working on designing vocabulary excises for high school seniors and I turn to my Hornby again. I wish there were a way to thank him for creating such a valuable resource for students and teachers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ELT dictionary in the world, 27 Oct 1998
By A Customer
The best ELT dictionary in the world. We are professional Education Consultants and have researched ELT dictionaries for a number of years. There can be no doubt that the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary is the best dictionary for English language students, teachers, and schools - scoring consistently highly under objective and subjective research.
It offers clear, concise, contextual explanations of head words - helping students to master the skills of working with an English-English (rather than a foreign language-English) dictionary. As an authoritative reference, its framework of language is closely related to the English language examinations run by the UK examination boards - making it an essential learning aid for students working towards an English language qualification.
We have taken feedback from students worldwide, and the OALD has scored consistently high "suitability" ratings - making it ideal for students from Asia, Europe, Scandinavia, South America, Africa, and the Indian Subcontinent studying British English at an Intermediate level (pre First Certificate) or above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best English Dictionary Ever!, 11 Dec 1998
By A Customer
As a student I use this book very often, and I don't imagine how I could study without it. The book contents every imaginable word from English. And it's not proper only for those who are teaching English, but more than that for all who would like to become excelent in English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for vocabulary learners., 22 Oct 1997
By A Customer
This dictionary is almost perfect for those who are ambitious about improving their vocabulary as well as attempting to use each word correctly. It provides samples of sentences for every word, making it easier to comprehend the definitions of each word.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best english dictionary I ever had., 11 Mar 1998
By A Customer
This is the best dictionary I ever had. Besides the normal reference I found the usage examples great. I am a native spanish language person and I found it specially useful in my advanced english studies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Aug 2009
I used the previous edition as well and this one is even better. A must for English learners.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever dictionary I ever have read in my life., 30 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This dictionary is the best dictionary I have ever come across. I first bought this dictionary in 1986 and ever since I have been always using this dictionary and from time to time I purchase every new editions that come out in the market. I wish if I could mug up the entire book and retain everything in my memory.
Now I am thinking of purchasing the CD-ROM edition very shortly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful. The CD is great as well, 3 Mar 2009
I first saw this dictionary with my teacher and was impressed with the amount of words and example sentences it had. When I checked Amazon I noticed there's one that comes with CD, and ordered it. I'm glad I did because the software was easy to use(I'm using Windows BTW) and saved me the time of flipping papers, it also had some extra information and example sentences that weren't on the dictionary.

I recommend this to anyone serious about learning English or even just to keep it for use from time to time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, Seventh Edition: Paperback with Compass CD-ROM
Used & New from: £4.20