5.0 out of 5 stars A reference book for all levels
Published on 15 Feb. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to have.
This book comes very highly recommended, but I think I will find it more useful when I am working rather than for the TEFL course I have just finished.
Published on 28 Feb. 2013 by TRISH ELLIS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A reference book for all levels, 15 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
My English lecturer recomended this book to me, and I have never regretted buying it. As a non-native speaker of English, I find this reference book to be very straight foward and answers most, if not all, of my questions on English. The defferences between formal written English, and informal written English are clearly explained, and there are a lot of examples too. As a non-native speaker, the part on the differences between Brittish and American English is greatly appreciated. On top of that, entries on pronunciation, punctuation marks, idioms, taboo words, slang, spelling and others are also available. It is also very user-friendly as there is a solid index, and a cross-reference to related topics. I would recomend this book to those who are studying English in the elementary level, as well as the advanced non-native speakers as one will never fail to learn something new whenever one opens up the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best reference book on grammar!, 17 April 2001
This review is from: Practical English Usage (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I studied English as a second language and have been teaching it for over 10 years in Hong Kong. From time to time, I need to consult a dictionary or a reference book on usages and grammar. I saw this book by accident several years ago in the education section of the university library and I knew it's the one book I couldn't do without. I rushed to the bookshop to get my own copy and I've been using it ever since. I would recommend it to anybody who is serious in improving his or her own English. After you've read this book you'll be surprised to find English Grammar can actually be presented in a user-friendly manner. The concepts are very clearly defined and well-illustrated by self-explanatory examples. For elementary learners and beginners, I would also recommend "Practical English Grammar" by the same author. It's a good start and accompanied with an exercise book. All in all, it is a MUST for all ESL learners.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Enlish practical book I've ever read., 12 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Practical English Usage (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I think this book is the best one in its category. Every problem I have had, it has helped me completely and quickly. Some items are explained as complete as possible, especially about prepositions. The arrangement of subjects and the index of this book are excellent. At the end, I'd like to thank Michael Swan for this fantastic writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for English-as-a-Second Language teachers, 23 July 1998
This review is from: Practical English Usage (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
This is the resource book all ESL teachers need; it explains all those little nuances of pronunciation and usage that we intuitively know but cannot explain. I have based several lessons on a single entry; my high school students are excited to be able to correct errors in their language skills, because they finally understand WHY something is done a certain way. This text is well-organized, easy to access and highly user-friendly!

5.0 out of 5 stars simply brilliant - a must have, 6 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Practical English Usage (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
Michael Swan's book is simply brilliant for everyone who learns English. I am a translator and use it quite frequently to look up all kind of things. The explanations and definitions are easily understandable and not too complicated for those who have just started studying English, as I experienced when I helped a German student, for whom I translated bits of it. It's the best Grammar book I have ever used and I'm still grateful to my teacher who recommended it to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful grammar the size of a dictionary, 18 Jan. 2004
VENTURINI VIVIANA (NAVE, BRESCIA Italy) - See all my reviews
This grammar book has the size of a dictionary, and the entries are in alphabetical order for quick reference. It is "intended for intermediate and advanced students, and for teachers of English," as it is stated in the introduction. I particularly enjoy the bright white of the paper and the use of a brown-red for the entries, whereas their explanations are in black, in bold type and cursive. There are also ten very interesting pages about "newspaper headlines" and useful information on "stress, rhythm and intonation," as well as "weak and strong forms."
I have a degree in foreign languages and literatures and have taught English for the last ten years. I think everyone who studies the English language should have this book on their shelves, next to their dictionaries, for whatever your grammar doubt is, you'll quickly find a solution to your problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent non-prescriptive reference, 20 Jun. 1999
This review is from: Practical English Usage (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
Designed as a reference book, it is very easy to find what you're looking for. The style is simple and straight-forward, making it easy to use, even for non-native speakers of English.
Swan gives a lot of examples, both of typical errors (clearly marked as such) and of standard usage. Best of all, he doesn't tell you what you should say. He tells you what people do say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Contains every grammar point ., 30 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Practical English Usage (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
This is an excellent reference book which does contain all the essential information you may need when teaching English. The only slight critique I would have is that sometimes it goes into too much detail and the simple grammar point you wanted clarifying is swamped by more detail than you needed to know. The index is great, and it is very user friendly .This is definitely the grammar reference book I'd choose to use every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very didactic and covering a lot of topics!, 13 April 1999
This review is from: Practical English Usage (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
This is one of the best grammar books I've ever found! Following the British pattern of "How to explain" English grammar, it's very didadict and goes step by step covering a wide range of topics. It's one of the best helpers you can have beside you anywhere. Go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars it is recommended, 11 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Practical English Usage (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
when I started studying English at university,I was in great need to an English Grammar book.once I went to the liberary,and searching for that,I began having a look at all the grammar books in there,I met with Practical English Usage and dwelled on studying its content.I found everything amazing and helpful.What I like in this book most is details on ing-form,Articles,Tenses.
Honestly,I am feeling that my English is good by virtue of this book.I recommend all students to have it immediately and have reference to it when Grammar problem arises.
Yours Sincerely;
Amrani Djallal.
Radio Operator.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Practical English Usage (2nd Edition)
Practical English Usage (2nd Edition) by Michael Swan (Paperback - 1 Jan. 1995)
Used & New from: £3.55