5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piano tutor
Published on 18 Aug 2006 by J. A. De'ath

3.0 out of 5 stars Tunes for Ten Fingers
I bought this book for my 6 year old grandson and it seems excellent but not had time to try it out sufficiently. Once we have done so I shall review my rating but to me it does seem to cover the right ground for a child starting off on the piano.

I have now had opportunity of testing out this piano book with my grandson and he is not too keen on it. Finds the...
Published 17 months ago by Jan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piano tutor, 18 Aug 2006
This review is from: Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) (Paperback)
My five year old daughter has been using this and the next book in the series to learn piano and it's been so enjoyable and painless! The book introduces a note at a time with fun quizzes, practice pieces and well known tunes. It's beautifully illustrated and so well written with simple, easy to follow explanations. Even as a musical dunce I was able to guide her through the book and even started learning the piano myself. Wish it had been like this when I was at school! Children learn to sight read music and play music from page one. I couldn't recommend this and it's companion book (More Tunes for Ten Fingers) strongly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Starter Book for Total Beginners, 5 Dec 2008
This review is from: Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) (Paperback)
This is the first ever review I've felt compelled to do, despite having purchased lots of items from Amazon.(so good is this book!) Whilst waiting for our 2nd hand piano to be delivered, I ordered a total of 5 beginner piano books for both myself and my 8yr old daughter to learn from. This is the easiest one, and the only one my daughter wants to use - she loves it! As soon as she sits at the piano, she grabs this book! She has no previous musical 'training' so cannot read music at all, nor has she ever had a piano lesson. However, this book is so easy to understand, fun and clear, that she is able to work through the lessons without adult help. Although the book is aimed at younger children, I personally would recommend it to anyone who needs a basic, simple and clear book to learn from. (I have been using it myself and I have A-level music!) It teaches you a new note per page, the correct fingering, and basic music theory. However, if you are looking for a fast-moving book that will teach you quickly, this is NOT for you! It will NOT have you playing 2 hands simultaneously by the end! PS - Because of the shape of the book (landscape), it sits on the stand better than other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great book to start with!, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) (Paperback)
I'm teaching children age 4 to 7 piano. Tried other books before and they didn't seem to make the children interested in playing as this one. It's really easy to follow for both teaching and learning, and the children have the sense of achivement from every lesson. I'd recomment this to every child :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beginners' Piano Literature, 24 May 2010
This review is from: Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) (Paperback)
This book was purchased for my 7 year old who has only recently begun to learn to play the piano. It is a great introduction and brings in new keys slowly and steadily. After just 3 lessons using this book, my son is reading music!!! What a fab buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars tunes for 10 fingers, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) (Paperback)
As a highly qualified piano teacher I think this book is fantastic. I cannot fault it. It far exceeds any other childrens beginner book on the market:

- it introduces both treble and bass clef from the start
- it introduces sharps/flats, ties, dotted notes, rests, staccato etc.
- it is well illustrated
- it is well structured and written in a systematic way that makes learning simple
- it uses recognisable tunes and words that the children enjoy learning
- it is well paced, so the child will be progressing at a good speed and at the same time building excellent foundations to technique, note reading, rhythmic reading etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Piano course, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) (Paperback)
This book has got my 5 year old interested in the piano. Attractively presented this is a perfect introductory book for the young beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for children and 66-year-old absolute beginers of piano!, 14 Aug 2010
This review is from: Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) (Paperback)
At last my wife is realising her ambition of learning the piano with the aid of this excellent publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and straightforward, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) (Paperback)
We were asked to purchase this by my son's piano teacher and so didn't need to research other books. It's very uncomplicated and has a straight forward approach. My son is 6 and can easily understand the instructions and terminology and is racing through the book. I, on the other hand am lacking the spritliness of a 6 year old and have not progressed from 1 hand to 2 quite so skilfully - not the books fault! Would highly recomend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first piano book for children, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) (Paperback)
Having decided to teach my 7-year-old daughter the basics of playing the piano myself, I wanted a book which builds up gradually. After reading many favourable reviews from piano teachers about this book, I decided it was the one for me and have not been disappointed. My daughter is enthusiastic to practice the tunes which introduce new notes one at a time. By the end of the book, she will be introduced to quavers, a variety of time signatures and just begin to look at accidentals. The tunes are suitable for children, including the likes of Yankee Doodle, Jingle Bells and Happy Birthday. Great book - recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very First Piano Lessons, 21 Aug 2009
This review is from: Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) (Paperback)
This is an excellent introduction to the piano, making it fun. The illustrations are great; the approach is clear and the small tasks grab the attention. I bought this for my 6-year old grandson because he liked to strum on our piano. He was immediately taken with the pictures, and the small ideas to put notes to (eg the picture of the cat looking at a mouse, and the words "I like mice; I think they're nice". He is making up more tunes to suit his own ideas (mainly from Tom & Jerry!), and is going from page to page with real interest.
So different from first lessons seventy years ago!
A great buy.

Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time)
Tunes for Ten Fingers (Piano Time) by Pauline Hall (Paperback - 10 Sep 1992)
5.56